Old fuse wired breakers for a new RCD breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old fuse box. the type you put fuse wire in to. it something ive been meaning to change.

Ive been told if i pull the original fuse wire breakers out and go to an electrical shop i can buy RCD breakers to fit, meaning i wont have to change the whole box.

Does this sound about right?

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
No. it's complete rubbish.

More modern consumer units with MCBs, especially by the better makers, will often accept RCBOs.

I am going to guess that you have a brown or ivory plastic Wylex Standard, or possibly an iron MEM unit.

i thought the same i work as a fitter so some times come in to contact with electic jobs nothing this big, and yea your correct an old ivory colourd plastic thing.

Ive been told if i pull the original fuse wire breakers out and go to an electrical shop i can buy RCD breakers to fit, meaning i wont have to change the whole box.

Almost true, you can replace with MCB's, not an RCD.

MCB is an Overcurrent protective device (like a fuse)
RCD is a Current leakage breaker

This is what the person meant. These are good if you break your fuse carrier (I've done it) or cant be bothered to change fuse wire.

They do not increase safety, they just replace what you have, like for like essentially

Sponsored Links
thanks for that! so when it all boils down to it would you advice to change the old for a whole new box with RCD in, ive seen them on the market for around £60

Hows much should i expect an electrition to charge for chaging roughly?

Thanks again

Hows much should i expect an electrition to charge for chaging roughly?

It depends on a lot of things. As you know, Its a job for a qualified electrician who would/should inspect and test the existing installation before doing anything.
The earth and bonding may need upgrading, there may be inherent faults etc and these will all need sorting out hence a reflection on the cost.

Your best bet would be to look here for a qualified electrician
http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk/

Get two or three to give you quotes.

PS Don't even think of buying a £60 consumer unit and expect an electrician to fit it for you.

There are quite a lot of "older" CUs floating around that do not meet today's regulations.
Or it may well be complete tat, or not suitable for your job.

Personally I have two or three makers that I use. That's because I get a 0% failure rate, I carry a stock of parts and know that there will be spares for many years to come, if expansion is needed in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back