Old garage structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on building a new garage next year hopefully.

We have a precast concrete double length garage in the garden at the moment.

Is this worth anything to anyone ? Can these garages be reused ?

If so do you know who may want it, where i should advertise it. It may well be worthless, but someone may want it and so come and dismantle it.

The obvious alternative is to smash it up and pay to go into landfill, but i would prefer to recycle if possible.

Sponsored Links
They come up on freecycle occasionally and there is usually some interest. The normal deal is they are disassembled and collected. Worth a go, better than going to landfill

I had one I didn't want in my back yard. Someone removed the asbestos roof tiles for me. I photographed the remains and stuck it on eBay as 'buyer collects'. Got fifty quid for it, and someone dismantled it and took it away!

Pics of the madness are here
http://richardwalker.letterboxes.org/garden

Sponsored Links
Pre-fab concrete sectional garages are total pants brand new. God only knows what interest a second hand one garner.

Nice pics Rich. The only mistake I can see is that you allowed the slabs to oversail the wall when building an awkward curve (yours is a quadrant). It's always better to bring the wall up to the same level as the slabs and finish the wall with say a solid blue brick laid flat. This means that the wall can frame the slabs and avoid problems with little slab cuts tipping.

We often bring the wall up to the slab level....

Last edited:
Ah yes, that edging does look nicer! I sort of did mine without thinking, then planned to render it, then attached the bamboo. I think I had had enough by the end! I enjoyed it for a few years, then moved house.

I have since paid someone to lay a patio and it's absolute Crayola compared to the one I did. :(

Yes they are worth something, normally the 'travelers' buy them and sell them to old ladies.

Apart from the look of it, is it better to have brick edging? I am planning to have sandstone slabs laid on a concrete base (rectangular, so no awkward cut bits).

is it better to have brick edging?
Engineering bricks are very hard so will resist chipping and are frost resistant so wont spall.

What where you going to use?

Apart from the look of it, is it better to have brick edging?
No.
In instances where the patio is on a higher level than the surroundings i.e. when a retaining wall is required, then it is often better for the wall to finish at the same level as the slabs rather than the slab form a step over the wall. This is especially relevant when building a curved wall because you will always end up with small cuts when doing a curve - hence the need to 'frame' them in.
You can also end up with settlement differential meaning the slabs can end up cracked or dislodged from the bedding.

it will be built on the flat, with the bricks level with the slabs.

I meant to have the brick edging as a "frame"

I'd like it to look like this

full

edit
oooh, that was big

Last edited:
The brick Framing will be considered cosmetic. Quality and expensive but prettier than running the slab into the lawn.
Go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back