Old grey microbore pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, My house was built in 2001 and the central heating system is piped with grey micro-bore pipe. I have three radiators which will not get hot, one upstairs and two downstairs. All were working fine at the end of last winter. I have tried all of the usual methods to get them to work but with no success. I spoke to my local plumber yesterday about the problem when he came to connect a gas fire for me and he said it was most probably the pipe work that was blocked and the only solution was to re-pipe with barrier type pipe. He said it was not possible to power flush this type of system. The radiators are full of water so 'my logic' says it is obviously getting through the pipes. Is he correct and is that my only option. I would be most grateful for any views on this problem.

Sponsored Links
nope its not the only option the manifolds can be cut out and cleared as 99%of the time thats were the blockages are

Ignore my reply just noticed your year of build it prob will need a repipe as it will be blocked right through the pipework due to non barrier pipe prob being used

Sponsored Links
If thermostatic radiator valves are fitted then check pin isn't stuck down.

Thanks 'oilboffin', that's the plan at the moment.
Further to this problem, I now have access to the pipe work under the floor and can see that the central heating circuit is Hepworth 15x2mm grey plastic pipe. The rads are fed from the 15mm pipe by grey microbore pipe (8 or 10mm I think). As I have said previously my problem seems to be the microbore pipe having no barrier in it. Will the grey plastic 15mm pipe have the same problem and need replacing or can I just replace the microbore? Any advice appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back