Old Hive, new combi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, New member with a question.
I have gone from a combi with water cylinder to a combi with instant hot water.

can I use my Hive from my old set up with my new one if I don't connect the hot water contacts in the receiver?

or do I need to buy a single heating only receiver for it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it was a combi with cylinder? If so should be ok, if Hive is dual channel, it’s doable, but might need some wiring alterations

Sponsored Links
yeah was a combi with a very small cylinder in a bathroom cupboard, the main boiler ( an ideal ) had started to leak even though it was only 5 years old ( only lived here for the last two ) the Hive is dual channel ( 2 green lights ) new boiler is a proper combi.
might need to read up on disabling the hot water side of it then?

Should just be L, N and heating on

The "problem" is that the Single Channel Hive has one set of voltage free contacts but the Dual Channel has 2 sets of contacts with both Commons connected internally to the Live supply

0x56.jpg

your boiler has OT and 240v switching, make sure you connect to the 240v switching, use terminal 4 on the dual channel hive and L&N disconnect the other wires, no need to configure anything in the hive just remove the HW wires

ok, so I connected L and N and then connected the earth and finally the connection to #4.
the hive saw the system fine, all booted up and saw temps etc.
we I went and used the hive to start the heating up, the fuse blew and I had to replace it, tried again in case of a faulty fuse, Blew again.

all was wired up corrected as I have looked on a lot of threads and checked and double checked.

so will I need a single feed hive or a totally different system to allow me to control my heating remotely.
Thanks Again.

No you can use the dual channel, what terminal have you connected 4 from the hive into at the boiler end, pics would be best, also you mention an earth, never trust the colours of wires in a heating system, they mean nothing

Room ST orange on right hand side, shows a link no wires, looks like you’ve connected to low voltage bus side (bus typically uses extra low voltage). Be careful, you may damage the pcb sending 230vac down a low voltage side. :eek::eek::eek:

No you can use the dual channel,

As Chris has pointed out the connection are to the R-BUS which is ELV and NOT 230 volts The dual channel Hive will have put 230 volts onto the R-BUS terminals and quite likely this has damaged the boiler's PCB ( the reason the fuse blew twice )

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
ok, I have replaced the fuses. and maybe will have to get someone to replace the PCB. ( Price idea anyone? )
any idea on what smart system I could use with the Boiler instead.

ok, I have replaced the fuses.
any idea on what smart system I could use with the Boiler instead.
You can use the Hive as @ianmcd pointed out, but you need to connect it to the 230vac side of pcb, not the low side, which you have done.

Can you show your wiring at Hive end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back