Old house - poor wiring - elecs need "health check&quot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there
I've just moved into a 1920's house that has been unloved!
EDF have been in today to replace the card meter with a normal one. It appears that the house has 2 fuse boxes - 1 new that for recent(ish) additions like hob and shower, plus an old fuse box(the type that has the 2 pin rectangular blocks that you pull out) for the lighting and sockets.

The building survey that we had done recommended having the electrics tested as well as some repair works.

My main question is.... Would I request a Part P to ensure the wiring is sound/repaired or is there another "certificate" for want of a better word, a health check?

There are a few other jobs that I think would need doing like removing a few poorly installed wall lights.

Do I need to locate an electrician and request a Part P or something else.
If anyone's interested in taking a look, I'm in the Beckenham/Crystal Palace area.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you want a PIR - Periodic Inspection Report.
it's a health check of the state of the wiring and will most likely come with recomendations and requirements to make it safer.

If you stipulate a thorough PIR, then it will cost more as it will take longer ( a general PIR is about 10-20% of sockets and lights tested etc.. if you ask for all of them then it obviously takes longer. )

Part P has nothing to do with the testing, it's only a requirement for any electrical installation work to be undertaken with a degree of safety and part of that includes notifying the LABC of certain works to be done so that they may check you're doing it right, or having it done right by someone they deem capable of doing so.

so your moving of the lights etc may need to be notified to the LABC, but as you're planning on a PIR and most likely the remedial work that it will entail, then get them to do the little bits you want done at the same time.

It might be worth getting the whole place re-wired now before you start decorating and making it a home, it's a lot of disruption normally..

The testing and inspecting of a domestic electrical system can be done by anyone with the required skills it has nothing to do with Part P.

However someone who is able to self certify i.e. registered is likely to have the required skill.

The qualification which is considered as showing one has the required skill is City & Guilds 2391 but as well as skill the person should also have insurance so if they make an error of judgement you can claim on their insurance. It is called Professional Indemnity Insurance (PI) it is sometime bunched together with Public Liability insurance but not always.

The forms they have to fill in can be down loaded here see BS 7671:2008 forms although you may not understand the technical bits there is some explanation with the forms so will give you an idea of what they need to do.

Since the electrics should be inspected and tested every time a new occupier comes into the premises or every 10 years which ever is shorter then every survey should say it needs inspecting and testing. However if done every 10 years then as the regulations have over time moved with new inventions and uses for electricity and required more protection there would be a little work notified every ten years which should be done before next inspection.

However when left then you can end up with a big list of items needing attention. So to help the electrician should put a code on the faults.
1) This means it needs doing straight away and is a real danger i.e. broken 13A socket.
2) This means that should another fault occur it could become a danger for example too high of a reading on earth loop impedance. It is normally considered these faults should be cleared within a year at max. But an electrician should advise at the time on how quickly it needs correcting.
3) Unable to check. This may be because there is asbestos in the fuse board or that there is a seal on the item for example main incoming fuse size should be shown but is sealed so will have a code 3 again the electrician should explain.
4) This means when the wiring was done this complied with the regulations but since that time it has been considered as not good enough and is no longer allowed with new regulations. For example no RCD fitted on socket outlets under 20A. This warns you that if you want to alter things i.e. add new sockets then the RCD protection issue would also need addressing.

ColJack/Ericmark,
Thank you very much.
PIR it is!
Now to find a spark........

Sponsored Links
A couple of useful items from the Electrical Safety Council (ESC)

1. a best practise guide on PIRs. This is aimed at electricians but will give you a good idea of what you'll get for your money
http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG4_08.pdf

2. a brief guide from the ESC on who to ask to do your PIR.
http://www.esc.org.uk/find-an-electrician/inspection-reports.html

As noted above, many "Domestic Installers" will be on the competent person website but will not have the 2391 qualification in Inspection & Testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back