Selling a house, electrical check requirements, tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Selling the house.
We extended in 2008 and had that signed off

I then reconfigured 2 upstairs bedrooms in the original house, moved the shower to make a shower room ,
And a walkway to the rear bedroom.

So alterations I made were upgrading shower cable to 10 mm cable to run a 9.5kw shower
Adding 3 double sockets to the ring main in the new bedroom.
2 light switches for the corridor so you can switch the light on or off either end.

We still have older fuse box fuse wire from the early 90s , which was fine for 2008 electric pass certificate.

Do I need a EICR check or something else, rough cost?
Estate agent said he needs all paperwork...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It might be worth upgrading the fuse board to a unit that meets current standards i.e. rcd/mcb or rcbo's..

As part of that your (qualified) electrician could/would carry out a general test and inspection of the circuits and remedy the non compliances to date. That in turn would make your house more saleable, and safer.

Installation costs in Cambridge would appear to be around £750 according to the comments in this video:

But obviously costs can vary widely according to location and circumstances. I paid £500 for a similar installation recently.

Blup

You don’t need to do anything. Houses are sold as seen. It is up to the buyer to commission surveys, EICRs etc and perhaps negotiate a lower price. Any changes you make may not suit the buyer anyway.

As a buyer I would not trust an EICR provided by the vendor (or his tame sparks).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies all..

As I thought, wife is a bit of a worrier..just the thing when thinking of moving lol

Just been involved in the selling of two houses in Wales, they ask the question any electrical alteration since 2004 and expect paperwork to cover them, lack of paperwork means taking out insurance, but that is far cheaper than any upgrade. When I could not find paperwork I applied to council for replacement, however seems it would take at least 4 months and involved basic signing of an open cheque as they charge by the hour to hunt for it, so in real terms unless there is a death no one is ever going to check what was on the completion certificate or compliance certificate.

So one house was mothers, no estate agents involved, new owners lived up the same street in a rented house, and we privately agreed as to any work done.

House two was father-in-laws, my brother-in-law was in charge, and we did all sorts, gas-safe inspection, and repair central heating, and solar domestic hot water, and we lived next door but one, new owners ripped out all we had done to sell the house, so all the works did not matter one little bit.

Our old house is being bought by my son, so all private arrangement, but new one was through estate agents, the survey was a waste of money, and we were supplied with an installation certificate and complacence certificate for the house, only to find when moving in it was only for the garage which had been turned into a granny flat. So very quickly after moving in the CU was changed for an all RCBO unit, if the CU had been changed before we bought it then unlikely it would have been all RCBO type, so in many ways it is better for the buyer to get the work done.

I had mothers house re-wired, as we were not sure if mother could return home, or if the house would need renting out to help pay for her place in a old peoples home, so wanted it so it was fit for renting out. Some work had already been done, new wet room and kitchen, so this was not re-wired, however there was nothing in the installation or compliance certificate to say these were not included in the re-wire. The new owners knew all that had been done, we did not in any way try to hide things, however it was also clear we could have done, we did one job which was really not required, and it caused no end of problems, we got a new front door fitted, and then found the builder was not FENSA so it seemed we would need to get council to inspect, then found only required if more than 50% of door glazed, and it was not, but getting work done in a hurry before selling is not a good idea.

This house we had a succession of builders, plumbers, and heating guys doing work, and it seems every one has been called back to correct something, this is not what you want when selling a house. Same with father-in-laws house, we paid a service contract for the boiler, then they wanted it flushing before taking over the contact, got it flushed and they were still not satisfied, and the sale was completed before they actually took over the maintenance, and new owners ripped out boiler. So all that hassle for nothing.

So only do what is really necessary, what your solicitor says is required. As really no point doing up a house to sell, other than making it look clean and tidy including the garden.

My next door neighbour died , her daughter brought in decorators and they went through the house, the new owners redecorated the whole lot after I had updated the electrics

Thanks for the replies all.. As I thought, wife is a bit of a worrier..just the thing when thinking of moving lol
As has been said, you sell the house 'as seen', and leave the buyer to commission (and pay for) any inspections/surveys/EICRs that they might want.

The only thing you must avoid is lying in response to questions, since that can theoretically get you into deep (and potentially expensive) trouble. So, if asked, do not lie about what electrical work has been done, or who did it, and do not fail to hand over any relevant paperwork you may have (if asked). However, as has been said, if asked for paperwork associated with electrical work then, if there is none, simply say so.

It's also my personal view that a seller should always make it clear from the start that the 'asking price' takes into account their knowledge about the state of the property (structural, electrics, plumbing etc.) and any work that is probably be needed, in an attempt to pre-empt attempts by a buyer to knock the price down because of work they discoverer they would need to have done. That doesn't necessarily achieve much, but it does exist as an advance warning that one is not likely to agree to an appreciable price reduction because of 'needed work'.

Kind Regards, John

As has been said, you sell the house 'as seen', and leave the buyer to commission (and pay for) any inspections/surveys/EICRs that they might want.

The only thing you must avoid is lying in response to questions, since that can theoretically get you into deep (and potentially expensive) trouble. So, if asked, do not lie about what electrical work has been done, or who did it, and do not fail to hand over any relevant paperwork you may have (if asked). However, as has been said, if asked for paperwork associated with electrical work then, if there is none, simply say so.

It's also my personal view that a seller should always make it clear from the start that the 'asking price' takes into account their knowledge about the state of the property (structural, electrics, plumbing etc.) and any work that is probably be needed, in an attempt to pre-empt attempts by a buyer to knock the price down because of work they discoverer they would need to have done. That doesn't necessarily achieve much, but it does exist as an advance warning that one is not likely to agree to an appreciable price reduction because of 'needed work'.

Kind Regards, John

It's a 1930s house with a large double extension, lots of thing done ,some things due to be done again, it's a big old new house.

I've done my bit, so as you say "sold as seen "

Thank you for the reply (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back