Old Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler no Pilot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This site does not support DIY gas work.
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help. We are struggling to find parts for a very old gas boiler, which had broken down on Saturday. It is a Ideal Mexico 2 and the GC No. is 41-429-49

A Engineer has already changed the thermocouple with a universal one, which now allows the boiler to be used for about an hour then the Pilot light and burner just cuts out. We possibly require a gas valve or the thermostat he has told us. Have attached images of boiler.

Attachments

• Boiler.JPG
    Boiler.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Gas valve.jpg
    Gas valve.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 91
  • LabelBottom.JPG
    LabelBottom.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 80
  • StickerTop.jpg
    StickerTop.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
be better getting him to clean out the pilot injector first .
Or get someone else as there is no way on that boiler you would even think thermostat

Wish I had got him to clean it, he had already changed it with a universal injector, which has allowed us to use the boiler for about an hour before it cuts out. Now he wants us to try change the Thermostat or Gas Valve, which is very expensive.
@gas112 What makes you sure it won't be the thermostat? Previous engineer was fiddling with the thermostat with a spanner as well.

Think you are right, might be time to change engineer.

Thermostat has absolutely no relevance to the pilot light remaining lit, or not. It is either the gas valve, thermocouple, or the jet itself. Assuming the thermocouple is new, is OK, then that leaves the gas valve. In the gas valve, is the solenoid, energised by the thermocouple. The solenoids sometimes develop shorted turns, which seems likely from your symptoms. The solenoids, can be sourced from other gas valves, if your guy is able to tackle that?

Sponsored Links
Wish I had got him to clean it, he had already changed it with a universal injector, which has allowed us to use the boiler for about an hour before it cuts out. Now he wants us to try change the Thermostat or Gas Valve, which is very expensive.
@gas112 What makes you sure it won't be the thermostat? Previous engineer was fiddling with the thermostat with a spanner as well.

Think you are right, might be time to change engineer.
universal pilot injector ? thermostat is not connected with the pilot going out in any way . Gas valve for one of those is only about 100 quid '
ignore what harry is saying about solenoids he isnt qualified and and talking nonsense in regards that gas valve

Thank you, he charged me a lot for the call out charge and replacement of the thermocouple. I am thinking could it be the thermocouple and should we get a original one for the particular boiler? I am going to have to ask him if he can change source a solenoid from another valve or maybe just replace the solenoid.

My dad had this thing for 28 years, it sprung a leak, was then ripped out and replaced with a new tank and system boiler.

Thank you, he charged me a lot for the call out charge and replacement of the thermocouple. I am thinking could it be the thermocouple and should we get a original one for the particular boiler? I am going to have to ask him if he can change source a solenoid from another valve or maybe just replace the solenoid.

If he charged you a lot for the thermocouple, and seems unable to diagnose it properly, why are you going back to him?
universal pilot injector ? thermostat is not connected with the pilot going out in any way . Gas valve for one of those is only about 100 quid '
ignore what harry is saying about solenoids he isnt qualified and and talking nonsense in regards that gas valve

Ignore what gas112 says, he is talking as he often does from hi rear end. That gas valve can certainly be rebuilt with a replacement solenoid.

Sorry meant universal thermocouple replaced, not injector. So no need to change the thermostat?
Wonder if it is the Thermocouple he used or then it leaves the gas valve, found valve online for around £175 for part number 079756.

If he charged you a lot for the thermocouple, and seems unable to diagnose it properly, why are you going back to him?

Ignore what gas112 says, he is talking as he often does from hi rear end. That gas valve can certainly be rebuilt with a replacement solenoid.
this is the solenoid for this gas valve please try and explain where the t/couple attaches to this ?
The t/couple actually attaches to the magneto to create current hold gas valve open and they are not changeable on this valve so stop talking about stuff you have a very limited knowledge about

Sorry meant universal thermocouple replaced, not injector. So no need to change the thermostat?
Wonder if it is the Thermocouple he used or then it leaves the gas valve, found valve online for around £175 for part number 079756.
the link i have gave you for valve is 117 quid

No harm in trying another thermocouple, but usually the universal ones work just fine. Is the pilot flame good and on the thermocouple?

Just to be clear, the gas guys, will just be wanting to swap parts, not fix parts, hence the simple task of swapping solenoids is beyond their sphere of experience.

Just to be clear, the gas guys, will just be wanting to swap parts, not fix parts, hence the simple task of swapping solenoids is beyond their sphere of experience.
yet again you clearly have not got a clue what the solenoid does on this gas valve and i have changed hundreds of solenoids over the years on this valve .

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back