Old Ideal Mexico - keep or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new flat but it has a rather ancient boiler - its an Ideal Mexico Slimline which I reckon dates from when the property was built in 1986/87.

Any views on this boiler? Are they generally reliable (looks very basic, so probably not too much to go wrong) and can you still get spares. Just wondering whether I should plan on replacing it soon.

It is floor mounted under the work surface in the kitchen and looks like a balanced flue design. Can you still get this design of boiler today? I reckon if it is replaced with a typical wall mounted boiler, I would have quite a lot of making good to do to repair the rather large looking hole where the flue passed through the outside wall (awkward since its on the 2nd floor).

Sponsored Links
You can get modern versions of the Mexico

http://idealheating.com/products/mexico-he-boiler_homeowner.php

They aren't as simple as the old ones - modern condensing/modulating designs etc. but you will probably find one would replace yours easy enough.

As to whether to replace. Well reliability wise, as you say there isn't a lot to go wrong with these old boilers so it could well keep soldiering on for more years. We've got a Mexico as well, not as old as yours, but still the old style design, except for a not lighting pilot this year, (due to not enough servicing really) it's never given us a problem. Parts, well for ours they seems available, dunno about yours, but it easy to search sites for spare parts to see what is available. If you don't know it';s history, it might be worth getting it serviced (which is mostly AFAICS giving a check and a clean inside)

One reason to consider a replacement, is the increase in efficiency. Yours probably is pretty poor. so you would expect to save money on your gas bill with a replacement. But boilers are not cheap to replace, so the payback time can be fairly long - depending very much of course on the size of the bills and the cost of the boiler.

Personally I don't think I worry about it for this winter, see how the bills go this winter, see how the system works for you and concentrate on making sure other cheaper/easier things that might affect it (drafts, controls, insulation - maybe not so much in a flat) are done.

Then you can consider it at you leisure next year

Replacing the old boiler to reduce the amount of gas used will not work.

Even if you do end up using less, the new boiler will have failed and require replacement before you have saved enough to cover the cost of it.

Money would be better spent on updating the controls, installing insulation etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, thats kind of what I expected. I think I'll get it serviced and only replace if the gas bills turn out to be horrendous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back