Old Ideal Vulcan RS55 on full pelt all the time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently bought a flat with a huge steel floor standing boiler - Ideal Vulcan RS55 - I know its inefficient but I thought it being so old and simple it would keep going for a bit.

It runs a vented (? - there's an f&e tank) system with Hot Water Tank and radiators for a two-bedroomed flat.

Yesterday I noticed a funny noise in the loft and had a look to find it full of steam. It appears when the boiler system and pumps turned off the burner didn't. Even with the electricity cut, it still goes on maximum and it makes a constant "kettling" noise (or so I believe it is called). The radiators feel a lot hotter than they ever have before - uncomfortably hot to touch

The Thermostat switch - OFF - on the boiler itself doesn't do a thing either.

The only way to turn the beast off is to twist the gas control nob and then I turn it off at the mains.

1) If I turn the gas control nob off and then the electrical supply - is it safe to leave the gas supply on while I cook the dinner. The electric oven and microwave work fine so Christmas dinner should be doable...

2) When on, is it safe what with the radiators getting so hot?

3) Any ideas what is wrong?

4) We've had floors and carpets laid, if we did change the boiler now, any chance of useing the existing pipe system? Or do half the floors have to come up?

Sorry about the many questions but the missus is a bit stressed out by this at this time.

Hubie

Sponsored Links
should be ok to turn gas off at boiler gas cock and carry on using cooker.
most of the pipework should be alright for new boiler although it may need some modification, but will need cleaning out. get someone in to give you a price and advice.
the problem appears to be gas valve. you'll be lucky to get one for a vulcan boiler I think.

think honeywell grey push button gas valve will fit (v4600)

will corgi engineer though.
310880.gif

Thanks for the info

Yes it has a Honeywell 4600c as in picture. It would be nice if one of those could be fitted and we could save up for the change, although then again might just be best to bite the bullet and sort it now.

H

Sponsored Links
Its so inefficient that a nice new Worcester 18 Ri would do a treat as an energy efficient replacement.

OK about £1450 to replace versus about £220 to repair but think of the savings in fuel bills and the benefit to the planet!

Tony

What a pair of sad gits we are in tinternet on Crimbo morning Tony.

All the best for the rest of the day.

Its still Christmas Eve night!

I had a very quiet day, only mended three simple faults locally. A virtual day of rest compared with last week!

A boring day tomorrow I expect. I may end up replacing the bath!

Tony

Thanks all and a chilly (inside) and wet (outside) Christmas to you all. I've got someone coming out Boxing Day to have a look at short-term vs long-term solution.

Another problem is that we're supposed to be going off for a break (10-year anniversary) at weekend so can't have the long term solution put in before then. The missus is worried about pipes freezing in an unheated house...
I've looked at the weather forecast and it doesn't look too bad.

If I leave the loft trapdoors open will that create a bigger place to have to get cold (as the cold loft air will drop through the trap door being replaced by warmer air??) and help. I think that'll be my explanation to the missus.

Would hate to come back to burst pipes cold weather and no boiler. Happy anniversary love.

Anyway, I've got presents to unwrap and alcohol to drink.

Merry Christmas all.

You are unlikely to get any frozen pipes in the weather we are likely to have.

However, leaving the loft hatch closed and a 2 kW electric fire on would take the chill off the house.

Tony

Excellent, as luck would have it I just bought a 2Kw oil-filled radiator thingy, very warm it is too.

i have serviced loads of these boilers for a large brewery and you can pick up a gas valve for this from any parts centre (part of plumb centre) To be honest this sounds like you have a permanent live feed as it should not fire up when you turn off the fused spur

I've had a plumber in who's tested the gas valve for safety (OK).

He's turned the gas pressure at the boiler way down and that has restored some functionality and stopped the constant kettling.

It now can be turned on/off (usually) from the on-boiler thermostat switch and comes ON when the timer & rooms stats tell it to. It however, doesn't turn off when the system switches off from the timer.

(It never turned on when the power was off - just that it kept going when the power was cut and the room and water tank thermostats were turned down).

Because it's a newish kitchen and new floors/carpets, he said it would be more economic to repair the boiler with a new thermostat until we were ready to redo the kitchen.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back