Old larved ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right folks, in an attempt to save time and money, I'm thinking about boarding over the old larved ceilings and having them plastered.

The pros are,

the old ceilings are cracked in places

I wouldnt trust the old fixingsenough to just plaster over the old, so new boards would = more fixings

Saves time stripping the old stuff and less mess

better sound proofing?

The cons are

I worry that its a bodge up

the thickness of the ceiling concerns me

ripping out the old exposes the plumbing and electrics so we can inspect them from below, instead of ripping the floorboards up

Just like to know what you lads think,have I missed anything out?

Sponsored Links
there may be nibs of plaster that have got between the laths (not larves) and the plaster, so it will not go flat even when you fix new plasterboard underneath.

Pulling down an old L&P ceiling is very dirty work, but very satisfying.

probably better to try to avoid it if the rest of the house is furnished and carpeted, the dust will get everywhere.

If you do pull it down, use an industrial cleaner of aquavac on the upper sueface of the ceiling first to remove what dirt and dust you can. This is much easier if it is as loft.

I wasn't going to disturb the existing plaster, just board straight over it.

Also the whole house needs re decorating and were not moving in until itsall done, so nothing can get dusty. Even the carpets are going.

And I was going to do all of the ceilings.

rip it out then. You'll be glad you did. It does not take all that much time pulling it down.

tape up round the door, and take the bins, rubble bags, shovel, broom and vac in with you. Don't open the door again until you've cleared up and taken off your hats, masks and overalls. Bin bags are no good as they will tear. You might find some valuables or mags hidden under the floors.

dust and dirt will be incredible.

you can add mineral wool sound insulation as well if you like.

Sponsored Links
Nice one, its what I wanted to do, but a few people have said 'nah, go over it!' and I needed to be sure.

Cheers.

lift the floor boards up stairs and using a shovel/3x2 smack the old ceiling down,that way you are working above it rather then below it,and boy it will be dusty so make sure youve got plenty of decent face masks.

get a dust mask and goggles, infact provide some form of filteration protection for every orrifice you got because that dust gets everywhere :O

Also, before you get skimming, have a periodic inspection report carried out on the electrical installation by a sparky who is a member of a competent persons scheme. I have had to rewire houses that have just been skimmed throughout and redecorated with new carpets and the home owners do NOT like it. it is also a bit soul destroying to run a wall chaser through someones neat plastering and decoration which has cost them alot of money. It may all be fine, it may only need upgrading but it may all need replacing.

Good advice John and thats already on my agenda, got a plumber and sparky on standby to inspect everything accessable as soon as I rip it all down ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back