Old light fitting mains plug

Rega
Linn
Pro-ject
ClearAudio
Pink Triangle
Michell

Pick your choice from eBay and you won't be disappointed.
Unlikely to get makes like the above for £60 though.

Don't pick anything with a return mechanism
That can usually be removed.

Which is what I'd suggest doing with this, if you want a player for £60.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-JL-A20-Belt-...le-M75-EJ-Pick-Up-Cartridge-P-C-/221647592941

There are currently about half-a-dozen reasonable decks on eBay right now, auction items, with the price currently in the £50 - £100 bracket.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
These discussions about alternative equipment are all very interesting, but has anyone noticed that the OP has not been seen since 5 minutes after his initial post, nearly 3 days ago? :)

Kind Regards, John

These discussions about alternative equipment are all very interesting, but has anyone noticed that the OP has not been seen since 5 minutes after his initial post, nearly 3 days ago? :)

Kind Regards, John

Attack of the live chassis?

Possibly! However, probably more likely, as soon as (after a couple of minutes) he read the answer he wanted to hear ...
You can use a normal plug with a 3A fuse yes.
... he probably didn't bother coming back to the forum - and hence didn't see all the other discussion and advice about his equipment, and alternatives!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

Kind Regards, John

Yes ! i thought i hope it's not a HMV record player ! I was bitten by one as an aprentice as it had a non polorized fig 8 flex and a 2 pin clix plug , i was just unlucky ! :rolleyes:

Regards,

DS

Yes ! i thought i hope it's not a HMV record player ! I was bitten by one as an aprentice as it had a non polorized fig 8 flex and a 2 pin clix plug , i was just unlucky ! :rolleyes:
Indeed, but that was almost par for the course for all consumer electronic devices (radios, TVs, record players) back in the 50s and 60s - the chassis connected to one side of the mains supply, via a 2-core cable (with or without identifiers) and often a 2-pin plug (sometimes a B22 one!) or, at least, no attention/interest as regards which way around a 3-pin plug was wired!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but there was an earth ! taped to the outer sheath which i connected at the bench during repair, my boss then stuck a screw driver into the pick up socket and well……. very similar to you're 25w candle lamp we were in darkness :eek:

Regards,

DS

Yes, but there was an earth ! taped to the outer sheath which i connected at the bench during repair, my boss then stuck a screw driver into the pick up socket and well……. very similar to you're 25w candle lamp we were in darkness :eek:
Ah! In retrospect, I suppose one of the reasons why all those live-chassis items were not a lot more lethal is that there was usually no earth in sight.

Happy New Year!

Kind Regards, John

And don't forget that some valve radios had a three core lead, Live Neutral and a resistive conductor. The resistive conductor was in series with the valve heaters to control the current through them. When the valves were getting old and less emissive ( fewer electrons leaving the cathode ) a quick fix was to run the heaters at a higher temperature, shortening the mains lead achieved this.

Replacing a worn mains lead with normal cable ( without the resistive conductor ) would burn out at least one of the valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back