Old light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ripping down my kitchen today and have come across an exposed box which wouldve been the old 2 way light switch before the extension was built, now I just one switch operating the kitchen light which is the other end of the kitchen. There are 3 cables in it.

I've attached a photo. I have lighting junction box in my loft so assume I may have one underneath first floor which I'm not too used to. I have two reds in a connector block which I think must be common and switch wire (coming from 2 separate cables), as when I disconnect this the light wont turn on. Then the black in the connector block being neutral. I then have a red and yellow in a connector block, one of these I assume would be the other switch wire for 2 way switch although I tried getting continuity earlier from other switch and I couldnt get? Also wondered if one of these were the other switch wire, would I just have an extra one as maybe just used the cable they had? I have tested for voltage and I get 12v between these two wires.

Then the red and black which are lying loose, they are from the same cable. Only thought I had was I had another light or switch once upon a time which is no longer there.

Understandably might be difficult to offer guidance without being here, but is there anything I'm missing? Cheers

Attachments

• 20210325_151127.jpg
    20210325_151127.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
Where does the blue conductor go, or is it blue sleeved red and what you describe as one of the reds terminating in the block?

blup

Yeah you're correct, the blue wire has the red sleeving over it and it goes into the connector block with the other red

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back