Old loft conversion - I want to make some improvements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so we have two bedrooms in the loft. The house is quite old (200 yrs) and historically they were maids / servants quarters so the sellers were allowed to sell it with them being called bedrooms. Going by todays standards they are not very habitable (draughty, cold etc) and I want to make some improvements on a gradual basis - for example :-

Higher spec insulation
Strengthen floor joists
Replace doors
Install smoke alarms
Improve support for purlins

Now I believe I do not need BC in order to continue to call them bedrooms but can I get BC approval just on the improvements I am making ?. For example I may choose to just strengthen the floor joists - can they approve this in isolation ? or will they insist on a myriad of other improvements to areas that I am not intending to change ?.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Strengthening the floor joists won't be something that could be applied for. Renewing the whole floor would be, but that could be asking for a whole world of pain.

I might need an RSJ to support the purlins - do I need to get BC approval for this ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back