Old Log Floor Joists, notched construction, need advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in an old farmhouse, added on to several times, the original 1.5 story section has handmade 150-year-old notched full log joists (most still have some bark on them) and notched main carry beams. The main beam is cracking, the floor joists don't look that good (dry and somewhat cracked). We are dirt poor, limited lumber supplies and moving is not an option...who can afford anything nowadays! Dirt floor basement under original section. Of course, there's more weight bearing down on these old joists than intended, we have stuff! And over the years furnace ducts were added, tons of electrical running everywhere, and plumbing. It's a mess down there!
I'll post pics soon.
Looking for DIY fixes to support the log joists and beams. I do have a couple jack posts but they are too tall so I'm going to try to either dig into the dirt (not sure if I'll get far due to large rocks) or cut the post.
I've looked online and can't find videos or images of support on log joists/beams. I need to see photos!!

Sponsored Links
150 years old... you must be west of the U.K. :D
Think my plumbing is as old as that.

Joking aside, you may get more help if you posts some pics.

What is the height from floor to logs?
Any reason you couldn’t build brick/block piers?

How bad are the logs?

Why not post pics showing the ground floor, and pics looking up from in the basement showing what you've described in your post?
Any kind of support posts or jacks will need dug-in concrete footings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back