Old Male Cast Iron Screw Pipe Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I need some help on this one. I live in a 1935 council house with kinda old pipes. No combi boiler just water heater & storage heaters. I'm wondering if I can remove the old threaded pipe and put a male compression fitting soo I can run a new piece of 15mm pipe to my bathroom.
The bathroom cold water is run from an old tank in the loft which strait above the bathroom and only serves the toilet, sink & bath ONLY. It seem a bit stupid t have a cold water tank nower days that only serves the bathroom and the pipes are at One side and ugly. I only want to do it as a short term fix for 6 months then a new bathroom and all new plumbing
Was thinking bout these parts.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Compression-Male-Iron-Coupler-15mm/p/420210
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Compression-Male-Iron-Coupler-15mm/p/420226
[/wiki] View media item 76078 View media item 76079 View media item 76080

Sponsored Links
Yes that's fine, iron fittings usually have taper threads so as you screw the taper male into the taper female they gradually tighten form a tight joint. Parallel threads run all the way up to the end before they tighten which can be a help in tight situations but can be a particular pain if the fitting is an elbow and insists on tightening in the wrong position :D

Both joints of course need jointing compound & hemp or PTFE tape but on taper fittings the joint is a good snug fit which helps the sealant to seal, on parallel threads the seal relies totally on the sealant.

Sponsored Links
Oh I see, thanks for the help, learning all the time. I've 15 rolls of PTFE tape so I though that's what to use as it's used in most compression work.
One thing to ask is there any think I should doo or look out for when un screwing the old pipe. I don't wanna break the thread in the old female tee.
Also ain't running upstairs cold water off the tank a bit old hat nower days when most mains water is strong enough to reach up the the loft in the first place. My Water Pressure from mains is 5.5bar

Steel pipe is tough as old boots unless it is badly rusted. Yours looks in good nick, remember to "hold against yourself" that is when turning the fitting off put grips on the section of pipe that is to remain, otherwise you may "crack" the next joint along the line causing a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back