Old petrol blowlamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a sort out at the back of my garage I came across two of my old blowlamps a Max Sievert and a Monitor, stripped them down and gave them a clean up, filled them with petrol and lo and behold both in perfect working condition. I bought the Max Sievert when I was 19 so that makes it 51 years old, the Monitor I would reckon to be about 60 or more years old, what do you think I should do with them? sell them on as collectors items or what?

Sponsored Links
If you have petrol in them..stand well clear.
As above its paraffin they run on.

Petrol was used in some blowlamps, providing they are in good condition, they should be safe.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
My father had an old paraffin blowlamps and I used it many years ago. It had a coiled section of tube behind the nozzle with a hollow in the top of the tank below. It also had an air pump and an air release valve. Does that sound familiar? :?: :?: :?:

The coiled tube was where the paraffin vapourized, ready to come out of the nozzle. You lit some meths in that hollow underneath to get it going, after which heat reflected back from the burner did the job. If you put petrol in one of those, how will you turn it off? If you open the air valve a cloud of flammable vapour will squirt out. :!: :!: :!:

You turn it off by closing the regulating needle valve, wait till it's gone out, and cooled down, before releasing the pressure.

Wotan

just had a look on Ebay............they dont seem to be worth much :(

you may as well keep em as souvenirs of your youth :D

well averaging £10 each... thats not much for something you have had for 60 years!...

These two blowlamps run on petrol, the Max Sievert lamp has a pump on it to pressure it up, the Monitor lamp doesn't have a pump, both are known as self pricking that is to say they are self cleaning everytime you turn it off, the old paraffin lamps you had to prick with a tool that had a fine wire on it to clean out the jet, like I said in my OP they are both in excellent working condition which surprised me as the petrol they were designed to run on was leaded todays petrol is unleaded, will put them on gumtree to note the response, gave them a good cleaning up with Brasso and they are gleaming, would make a unique ornament on a shelf in my office. After all, how many of you young dudes have ever seen an old blowlamp let alone used one :p Still got all my old lead dressing tools and caulking irons in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Back