Old roof - re-roofed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here. I've 41 years in the construction industry and am still learning.

A friend has had his old roof refurbished. It's a detached home with two side elevation chimneys. The roof tiles were set to one side for re-use and a fully breathable membrane and new laths were put in place before the old tiles were returned. The roof is a double hipped finish.

I've some issues with the workmanship. The first is that the the angle capped ridge and hip tiles have not been mechanically fixed, despite this being brought to the roofers attention and his undertaking to ensure they were. There's a significant depth of mortar bedding under the ridges and hips without the use of dentils. Whilst there's no sign of slumping there is some cracking to the mortar. The hips have had clear silicone sealer applied to the capped end instead of mortar. The eave tiles do not reach into the gutter by 50mm and a piece of "roofers felt" has been used to lap under the tile into the gutter.

The roofer/builder has agreed to sort out the flat canopy detail which isn't great.

Has anyone heard of using silicone sealant on the capped end of a hipped ridge? I've never seen it in 41 years - perhaps I'm not relevant with today's materials?

I think the roofer has not quite got the roof tile gauge correct and stretched the last tile which still doesn't overhang the gutter by any real distance - probably 10mm. Hence the additional "felt" under this last tile dressed into the gutter. Should this be addressed as a serious issue? I'm sort of thinking there will issues with this as time progresses.

Are old capped ridges not suitable for the use of dentils?

Thank you

AiY

Sponsored Links
Surly if you have 41 yrs experience in the building trade then you could have found your friend a decent roofer!

Surly if you have 41 yrs experience in the building trade then you could have found your friend a decent roofer!
I could yes, you're right. However, that's in the past and I wonder if you could throw any light on the issues I've raised please.

Thank you

AiY

Tile type ? Pictures would be a good idea..
you mention eaves tiles , eaves tiles are a plain tile fitting. there would be no need for dentil slips with plain tiles.

Or did you mean the first tile course?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The builder has agreed to sort the canopy detail out - pictured below

upload_2021-6-4_20-16-5.png

I think the "felt" to the bottom of the roof should be a 5U? I don't what the lifespan on 5U is?

The tiles look very close to the edge of the gutter and I would have anticipated they should be more central over the mid line of the gutter?

upload_2021-6-4_20-16-45.png

And should they use "silicone" on the ends of the capped hip tiles?

Any help greatly appreciated - thank you

AiY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back