Ridge tiles on a hipped roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roofer saying that he will fix my ridge tiles on a hipped roof by using expanding foam to hold the tile then mortar the edges, is this good practice ?
His alternative method would be to use silicon to both fix down and edge seal instead of mortar. Advise needed.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a bodge that wont last IMO, but a bodge that‘s becoming standard practice with some so called roofers because it’s quicker cheaper and requires less skill.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Understood,
I have told him to be on his way and don't come back.
Looking again now for someone to do the job right.
Thanks guys.

I had to remove a few capped ridge tiles to fit a skylight a while back and they had been glued on with expanding foam! they where rock solid, not something I have done but it did glue them on solid. I had to get a saw to slide under the ridge to cut the foam so I could get them off. They had been in the property 10yrs and it was before their time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back