Old slate roof - loft storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
It's my first post. Recently bought our first period property, a 1920's 3-bed semi still with the original slate roof with no under felt which the surveyor deemed as in sound condition.
As with most growing families, storage space is always at a premium & I'm planning to get the loft properly boarded out with an enlarged hatch door with ladder.
What are my options on ensuring it is water tight short of having it re-roofed.
OH wants the roof to be plaster boarded like our previous houses, but they were all under 10 years old and I'm sure it can't be done on these sort of roofs.
Any advice would be great with ball-park price figure - thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are doing some kind of loft conversion?
Anyway, the key to doing anything to a loft floor is to introduce new heavier section floor joists.
There's masses of information on here and google with pics etc for installing loft retro-floors.
Without a "calculated" floor and hard wired lighting you are at risk.

Oh not a loft conversion, nothing like that. Just boarding it out, purely for storage, but want it done properly and it will have proper lighting.

Sponsored Links
If the slates etc are in good nick then the roof will be waterproof- not draughtproof but there ya go. Well worth putting bigger timbers in next to the existing ceiling joists (the originals will be quite skinny, a load of 10 x 2 will cost the same as or not much more than a load of those silly loft leg things and reduce any ceiling sag problems) and upping the insulation to the modern 250mm depth (easier if you put deeper joists in). Boarding it- t & g 18mm chipboard, price varies but around £5/sq m. Again screw it down.

To keep the dust off your ket, fix anything you like to the underside of the rafters (polythene, breathable roofing felt, hardboard)- whatever it is you use, be aware of the weight of it and screw fix it (with battens if using polythene or other thin sheet) rather than nailing it (screwing won't put so much impact load on the slates above). Make sure you leave a ventilation gap through from the ridge down to the eaves. You might want to use something that will show up any water ingress (breathable felt ought to do it)- this layer is not intended to keep water out, if you start seeing water on it you have a roof problem that needs addressing.

Lighting- unless you've got some freebie florrie fittings from a skip (or from work) then LED has to be the way to go- for storage you could just use a couple of batten fittings and a pair of cheapo BC 7w LED lamps. Have the switch on the landing, make it a neon switch so you can easily see if you've left the light on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back