Old steel water pipes causing ceramic disc tap to fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a mix of copper and steel pipework through my 100+ year old house. The whole heating/HW was updated (unvented/system) a year ago but some lengths of existing steel H&C water pipes were tapped onto at both ends as there wasn't an easy way to run new copper all round the house.

There is one length of steel pipe, can't be more than 4-5 metres long that has a habit of putting debris into the water if it's not used for a week or two. It feeds a little used ensuite bathroom and the second tap I've installed in there is now very hard to turn off completely (mono basin mixer). A bit of wiggling around eventually stops the water dripping but I'm assuming debris is fouling the ceramic disc. The tap was a budget job from an online "tap warehouse".

Would a better quality tap be better (eg Bristan or similar). Of should I use a traditional type mixer without the disc? (Basin has single hole, H&C are balanced pressure c 3bar).

Advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You could try fitting a strainer/filter to the feed pipe before the tap. But that will need clearing out every now and again.

What about inserting a poly pipe inside the steel pipe?
Never done it but a thought

Unable to insert poly as there are elbows under the floor but the strainer sounds a good idea. Will pick up a couple of those today. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Have you removed the cartridge and is there debris in it? A monobloc tap with screw down compression valves would certainly be better but any debris will then probably gather in the aerator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back