Old switch and adding sockets to ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Wondered if someone could help.......?

First problem I have, is an old switch which was used to turn on the hot water cylinder on the old heating system, which has now gone. I want to remove this switch and tile over the whole, but the problem being its still live.
It has 2 wires in and 2 out how can I check if this is on its own feed from CU and how would I terminate the power supply to the switch?

Second problem I have, is I want to extend the ring main into 2 small utility rooms adding a double socket in each room.
The point at which I can pick up the ring is at an existing double socket (which I no longer require if it makes life easier), drill into the first utility room from behind this socket and feed the cable through.
Still with me? Ok
So because the existing cable on the ring is not long enough to go through the wall, what options do I have? Can I spur off into a junction box, on the other side of the wall and then send 2 cables to 2 different new double sockets? Or do I need to extend the ring main cables(how?).
I'm a bit lost now :?: anyone help please. :idea:
I also have a third problem but I think it might be answered with problem 2 I'll wait and see. :!:

Sponsored Links
Ascertain whether the feed to the water heater is on a radial on 16/20A circuit, and what the cable size is.

If it is OK, use that to feed the utility sockets.

But you will need a two pole tester.

Securespark thanks for the reply.
From memory I would say the wiring is only about 1.0mm 1.5mm and doesn't have an earth with them. When you say radial do you mean it could been on with something else? The switch is nowhere near the place I want to go through the wall for the utility switches so it is not an option for that problem.
Any other ideas? All gratefully received.

You mean the cable has no earth conductor with it?

That may mean the whole house may be up for a re-wire...

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm sure it does have an earth, I'll check.
Sooooooo.... would I be correct in removing the wire from the fuse box in order to isolate this switch. Or is there another way of isolating?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Does your consumer unit have a circuit labelled water heater or immersion heater?

You will still need a two-pole tester to confirm dead.

There is no label on the CU but I have found which fuse it is on and this has 15 on the switch and I don't believe anything else is on with it.

What is a two pole tester?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Something like a multimeter or other voltage testing device with two connections.

You should not rely on a voltstick or neon driver for this purpose.

Sounds like you've got a 15A circuit. Change it to a 20A, and assuming you have 2.5mm² cable minimum, then you can use this to feed the sockets in your utility.

Terminology I have a 2 prong multimeter, thanks
What is the best way through the wall? JB on one cable go round the utility rooms and JB back onto the other ring cable?

Cheers

you can only put one (single/twin) socket on an unfused spur. If the spur is connected via an FCU, you can put as many as you like on th eload side, but total load will be limited to 13A by the fuse in the FCU.

Thanks Davelx
Can you elaborate on protected FCU....?
Am I correct in saying if I spur off and run the cable into a fused control unit I can then run 2 cables out of the FCU to 2 different double sockets or do I go to one socket then spur off that to another socket (like a radial circuit)

Cheers :idea:

I thought you were going to use the radial for the (now departed) immersion?

In which case you can have as many sockets as you like on a 2.5 20A radial, as long as the floor area served by the socket outlets does not exceed 50m².

securespark
Like I said previously the immersion is in the wrong location. I need isolate the immersion and leave it buried. :arrow:
I also need to get power into the utility rooms by either spurring off the ring main at a socket point on the other side of the wall (which is the best option for me) or extending the ring main (not sure on how to do this). :?:
Therefore the question I have is can I spur off a spur so I can put 2 double sockets in the utility rooms.

Thanks for your patience I await you replies :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back