Old washing machine installation query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate’s washing machine has recently started failing to fully discharge its waste. He lives on the top (7th) floor of a high rise and has used the machine successfully here for about 20 years or so. Currently on removing the load at the end of the cycle about an inch of water is still in the drum. Furthermore the amount of water starts to increase over the next few hours, eventually resulting in an overflow from the machine.

I suspected some sort of problem with back-siphonage so took a look at the installation. Firstly, the waste hose is connected to the vertical waste pipework about 300mm or so above the top of the machine by one of those crappy self-cutting connectors. Secondly, there is no trap of any kind so the top end of the pipework is capped presumably to prevent smells. Thirdly, the other end of this pipe connects to the main building waste via a concrete boss – presumably this area was designed for a WC. Lastly, the gauge of pipe is 11/4 inch.

The washing machine instructions state that the waste will be expelled at up to 35 litres /minute. What surprises me is how the machine has provided such good service given this set up.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has a view on the best way to remedy the current set-up so a conventional 40mm WM stand pipe can be used. Thanks in advance for any help. ;)

Sponsored Links
When I started having problems with a well used (and often overloaded :eek: ) washing machine not draining, I found that over the years, the whole drum had 'settled' on it's suspension springs, and kinked the pump inlet hose. A short piece of 32mm waste pipe slid inside the hose now stops the kink closing up again.

Many self cutting connectors incorporate a non-return valve doing much the same job as a trap. Maybe that's getting bunged up.

If the 32mm waste has worked for 20 years, will changing it to 40mm really make a lot of difference?

Maybe it's just the pump in the machine nearing, or past the end of it's useful life, or bunged up with shirt buttons, paperclips and 5p pieces.

Thanks, Tickly. That’s a neat trick re the inlet hose.

Quite right, this connector does have a non-return valve, but it seems pretty clean inside.

Oddly, though this old waste pipe looks to be the gray solvent-weld type, it is actually 5 sections fitted into 5 pushfit connectors. One of these is weeping very slightly at the top. Though I could try bunging this up with sw adhesive it is probably better to replace the whole section of pipework that is up to standard.

As for the pump you could well be right and it might require replacing. I wonder, though, with the connector having been fixed so high originally, that this has put an extra load on the pump and that this should be changed regardless of whether or not a new machine is required?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back