Old water pipes with brass fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can these old water pipes be joined with modern copper pipes?

I'd like to replace part of the large diameter 'old' pipe shown here, but am likely not able to access all of it just now so would need a join.

Ian
2016-09-11 20.13.42.jpg

Sponsored Links
The pipe on the right with the soldered elbow is obviously copper. With the other two, the first thing to do is clean them off and give them a light rub with some wire wool to see what the pipe material is.

I'm almost certain the one on the left is copper, probably imperial 1/2", which can be joined to modern 15mm with a standard fitting. The one in the middle you're asking about I'm not so sure of - it might be 3/4" copper in which case it's fairly easy to join to new pipe using a 3/4 to 22mm conversion fitting. If not copper it's probably steel, in which case you need to undo the coupling and join onto it using a male or female iron coupler, depending on which part of the existing pipe forms the supply.

From the join here, I can get access to the pipework all the way back to the HW cylinder and boiler (downstairs), so I'd hope to replace this middle pipe (HW feed to upstairs bathroom) with copper.

As you can see, the joint is leaking.

From this point, running back and left from the photo POV, I can get access to the pipe as it runs under this bedroom floor and in the landing. However I think i then disappears under another bedroom floor before it gets to the bathroom. So I might need a join on the new copper pipe to the old pipe at this point.

The large copper pipe on the right it the cold feed back downstairs. It used to be lead pipe from a loft tank, but it was replaced with copper when I moved in (and the tank feed was redirected to this copper pipe in a cupboard under the loft since we couldnt find where the CW got from downstairs to upstairs.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back