Oldest (operational) appliance?

Sponsored Links
My Mum still has a working AEG Lavalux twin tub from the mid 60s. It was bought new to wash my terry nappies.

Can I start a category for the owner of an appliance or electrical item that has been in CONSTANT use the longest. I'll throw in my Sony Digicube clock radio that has been plugged in, telling the time and waking me up since 1981.

I once calculated that our aging (2004) B&O plasma has been on (directly displaying a picture) for (16*365*18)= 105,120 hrs. Mind you it did cost £10k. The blacks aren't as black as they once were, it is not HD, but the sound is gorgeous. Not that we can afford to to buy a new one anymore, but because of the sound alone, I wouldn't want the newer version (yet).

Sponsored Links
Ought to start a new thread, calculating how much extra energy these old appliances use.

Especially boilers.

and always worth another look.

Knew a chap at work who could deadpan like Trigger; one of the 'yard-gang' responsible for odd-jobs and sweeping up at the end of a day. Wasn't in a hurry and content to live his life, knew horse racing as well as Peter o'Sullivan and always handing out tips - saw him one time gently pushing his broom along and one of the office managers came out, proceeded to lecture him on the correct way to use a brush, then demonstrate this complex skill vigerously, sending up little clouds of dust (which Bob avoided by using small brush strokes). He caught my eye and a shadow of glee crossed his face while we watched this pompous pillock on his way down the yard.

TV
6am to midnight every day??!!

16 hours was 6AM to 10PM each day. The telly was left on to keep the dogs company whilst we were at work. None of the dogs ever took any notice of the picture, I suggested leaving Radio 4 on instead but was overruled.

I once calculated that our aging (2004) B&O plasma has been on (directly displaying a picture) for (16*365*18)= 105,120 hrs. Mind you it did cost £10k. The blacks aren't as black as they once were, it is not HD, but the sound is gorgeous. Not that we can afford to to buy a new one anymore, but because of the sound alone, I wouldn't want the newer version (yet).

B&O is real quality. My parents bought a 26" B&O Beovision colour TV in 1973. I remember the year because the first thing we watched was Princess Anne's first wedding. Picture quality was great for the time. Lasted well over 20 years, with occasional attention from B&O. On lots of cheaper colour tvs in early 70s, the colour wasn't that good. However as technology has come on, I still wonder if it's worth the extra for B&O now.

B&O is real quality. My parents bought a 26" B&O Beovision colour TV in 1973. I remember the year because the first thing we watched was Princess Anne's first wedding. Picture quality was great for the time. Lasted well over 20 years, with occasional attention from B&O. On lots of cheaper colour tvs in early 70s, the colour wasn't that good. However as technology has come on, I still wonder if it's worth the extra for B&O now.

AFAIK the screen was manufactured by Philips. But I guess that at 10 grand a pop, B&O had higher quality control requirements than a regular Philips screen.

Prior to buying the TV, we had the 5 place CD player which acted as the hub for the rest of the house. The lasers on cd players often fail after a few years. From memory it cost us well over £300 to replace the carriage on our CD player.

If the question had been "which domestic device fails the soonest" I would mention the lasers on CD players.

Under counter Zanussi fridge.
45 years and still keeping beer ice cold.
Bought in 1977 by my mum.

Forgot my pioneer hi-fi system, proudly bought in 1991 and still booming at parties.

Forgot my pioneer hi-fi system, proudly bought in 1991 and still booming at parties.

Bought a Sanyo midi system (radio, twin cassette, seperate record deck and speakers) on the drip from Carrefour in 1986. Still going strong. Unfortunately the Amstrad 4600 VHS I bought at same time didn't make it into 21st century.

Sponsored Links
Back