Oldest (operational) appliance?

My little Commodore CBM calculator I started uni with still works fine. As does the posh HP65 programmable one with rocking keys and reverse polish logic. One early programmable was the size of a big thick book and a dog to use. There was one at college bolted to a desk.

Sponsored Links
I got was in local news - he reduced his electric bill by about 625 a year by switching off his 25 year old American style fridge freezer.

Old is not always good.

Ok, he did replace it.

I got was in local news - he reduced his electric bill by about 625 a year by switching off his 25 year old American style fridge freezer.

Old is not always good.

Ok, he did replace it.

Very hard to get an A rated fridge freezer without spending a bomb

Not an appliance as such, more a toy, but my Mamod steam engine that I got for Christmas around 1966 is still working.

056013EB-C3F4-42E1-9A81-B33C53ACAAB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That 40 year old boiler I have has needed almost no attention. Some of the boilers I've had in the interim have only lasted less than 10 years. (Ideal Response was about 5)
If it had been changed 2 or 3 times at £3k a pop I'd have had say £7500 at current costs to recover in efficiency. Divide by 30 yrs is £250/year. At last years' prices it wouldn't have saved that much. Bills there are now going to be £2500 pa so it should now.
A cheap person would charge less than £3k, probably even now. £2k for a day's work is high.

Last edited:
Not an appliance as such, more a toy, but my Mamod steam engine that I got for Christmas around 1966 is still working.

View attachment 278634
Is there any way to define what the power of that engine is? For example, if a small pulley was attached to the (flywheel?) with a small basket attached to the end, what weight would it be capable of lifting?

Is there any way to define what the power of that engine is? For example, if a small pulley was attached to the (flywheel?) with a small basket attached to the end, what weight would it be capable of lifting?
Simples. How much weight can it lift, in what time? m.g.h (kg,9.81,metres) is joules, joules per second is watts.

Now that's a proper toy :).

Sponsored Links
Back