Omnicron Panel to Reson8 Bell Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been very lucky with the above panel which has been very reliable however I am experiencing difficulties with wiring a replacement box to get strobe to operate.
Connections which have been made,and allowing alarm to work sucessfully are;-
PANEL BELL BOX
Bell+ + Hold Off D
Bell- Trig B
SCB 0 Hold Off A
SCB RT Return T
The problem I am having is a non operative strobe as the original connections had STR + and STR - from the panel connected up to the red and black strobe wires.The new box has a connection for STB- only.
What happens to the STR+ wire? Should it work without? Faulty Strobe?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
so you are keeping the Omnicron then?
and just fitting a new bell box

well that is easy

the ball box only needs a -VE feed for the strobe. (-STR in bell box)
dont connect anything to the +STR from panel

hope this helps

Thanks Oasistechnical for the cod piece! and I'll take greater care with typos!
Problem is that connecting as suggested with only STR - ,leaving STR + unconnected is not making the strobe in the new box work.
Reconnecting both wires to the old strobe does work however.
Duff strobe in the new box?
Keeping the old panel at the moment although do realise that, after 15 years operation, it is on borrowed time.Maintaining the maxim if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sponsored Links
when you have your BELL box connected to all connections,
take a small length of single cable and touch between - Hold Off and - STR it should flash the strobe,
if not, its knackered,

then you will need a new one!

Oh and bin the panel, they are lousy A1 rubbish, stick a texacom R8 on it, they are good.

(coming from me thats good as i only fit Galaxy, except for a few adopted Texacom premier, thanks Rf for the manuals)

John

Thanks John,I'll test it tomorrow.
Thanks also for your recommendation for a new panel.
Probably time for an upgrade.
I understand that the new phrase is mend the roof whilst the sun is shining.
Ken

Good Morning.
Having tried the above the result was that the alarm in the box went off, but no strobe.
Strobe kaput or wiring/panel suspect?

You need a voltmeter across the strobe terminals to test it - or substitute the sounder wire for strobe wire - they both need a switched neg supply.

as i stated above,
if you put a small link wire between - hold off and the strobe - ve on the bell box the strobe should activate.
if this does not happen the strobe is kaput,

agian if you also put a small link between the - hold off and the sounder (bell) trigger on the bell box the siren should sound

ensure that the - and + hold off are connected to the panel before doing the above.

this is how i have tested certain bell boxes over the years, and they are plenty of years doing this job!

John

Finally located problem which was a break in the Bell+ feed to the bell box.
Cannot locate any break ( Or mouse activity ) in the the loft and think that it might be under the stair carpet - which I don't want to lift at the moment.
So I have substituted the strobe + wire,which has continuity and is not needed in the new box for the Bell + feed in the panel and box and all is working fine now with a live feed to the box.Should have used a multimeter earlier.
Thanks for all your friendly and helpful advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back