On my bike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In a moment of madness, I decided to attempt to 'cycle to the seaside' this summer. Now obviously, the difficulty level of such a thing depends on where you're starting from. Well we're going to be cycling from Derbyshire, from the heart of the Peak District National Park, across to the East Coast, probably either Skegness or Mablethorpe - over 100miles! And we're doing it in one day.

So why am I telling you this? Just wondered if anyone has ever attempted something like this? If so, how hard was it?? Any tips?? It seemed like a good idea when I thought of it, but I'm not sure it's sunk in yet how tough it might be....I've never cycled more than 18miles in a day before....

Hopefully we'll raise a good chunk of money for charity and it'll be worth it!!

Sponsored Links
Oh yes!!!

I've been stupid enough to do this several times in my life. The penultimate time was the Manchester - Blackpool ride in 1989, then the same in 2009. Call it a 20 year reunion! Between 62 and 65 miles each time.

Have not done one since - wanted to, but missed registration for 2011.

I did NO training for the 2009 run. I would not recommend this. I completed the run fine, but it took me longer than it should have and I was saddle sore afterwards: OUCH!

The worst part was the end, as along the prom the wind was against us. Does not seem to matter which way you go on a bike, the wind always seems against you... So it felt like you were pedalling like heck and getting nowhere fast. Then I fell off going round a corner on a road covered with dry sand. Another OUCH!

Basically, train well. There are lots of hilly bits near your house: use them well! If you train well, you'll sail through.

Both times I did the MTB run, when we got to the end, some of the guys just turned round and started for home!

Let me know what the going rate is for sponsorship and I'll bung you a few.

That's a very personal question!! ;) I'll probaby be 32 by the time we do this. But one of the guys who says he'll do it with me will 58 by then. We're all reasonably fit (now.....I very much wasn't 18months ago!!) but none of us are by any means athletes or professionals.

Not sure yet, I have a couple of charities that I'd like to support due to illnesses my children have had, but maybe it'll be for Sheffield Children's Hospital. I imagine the other riders will be supporting their own charities so hopefully we can support a few between us.

Sponsored Links
Oh, forgot to add to my previous post:

Buy something like this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized..._medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

It aids blood flow and helps prevent trapped nerves leading to pins and needles in the genitalia. I'm not kidding!!

And something like these:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Xtra...aign=Adwords&gclid=CIK_6Mug_7QCFeTMtAoduVsAaQ

Here's me in 2009 after crossing the finish line and having had the inescapable goodybag thrust into my mitts:
MTBBikeRide2009.jpg

That's a very personal question!! ;) I'll probaby be 32 by the time we do this. But one of the guys who says he'll do it with me will 58 by then. We're all reasonably fit (now.....I very much wasn't 18months ago!!) but none of us are by any means athletes or professionals.

Not sure yet, I have a couple of charities that I'd like to support due to illnesses my children have had, but maybe it'll be for Sheffield Children's Hospital. I imagine the other riders will be supporting their own charities so hopefully we can support a few between us.

ok- old timer .
If it's for the kids hossy charity- I'll start the ball rolling and bung in £20 (guaranteed).
I hope others on here will follow - Try plumbers forum-- they are the rich guys on here . :LOL:
Just let me know when you've done it- and I will send you the dosh forthwith.
Best of luck.

Whatever you do though- dont take the long route like securespark - 60-65 miles ???
Must have taken the scenic/long route (or got lost) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

but maybe it'll be for Sheffield Children's Hospital.

Certainly a worthy cause. We had one of our grandkid's in there some years back. Couldn't believe they put him in there when there's a Children's Hospital just up the road from us here in Derby. ( I know there would have been perfectly good reasons for moving him all that way)
Let me know nearer the time and I'll bung you some cash. ;) ;) ;) ;)

but maybe it'll be for Sheffield Children's Hospital.

Certainly a worthy cause. We had one of our grandkid's in there some years back. Couldn't believe they put him in there when there's a Children's Hospital just up the road from us here in Derby. ( I know there would have been perfectly good reasons for moving him all that way)
Let me know nearer the time and I'll bung you some cash. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey John, Grandkid ok now though ?.

Oh, forgot to add to my previous post:

Buy something like this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized..._medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

It aids blood flow and helps prevent trapped nerves leading to pins and needles in the genitalia. I'm not kidding!!

And something like these:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Xtra...aign=Adwords&gclid=CIK_6Mug_7QCFeTMtAoduVsAaQ

Here's me in 2009 after crossing the finish line and having had the inescapable goodybag thrust into my mitts:
MTBBikeRide2009.jpg

Dont tell lies - that is a pic of Chubby Brown.
aka Royston Vasey . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tell you what. I will chuck in a tenner on one condidtion.....You lot don't cycle round my area. :LOL:

Good luck. Let us know the outcome and how to send the dosh.

Hi guys, Touched by the offers of sponsorship - thank you very much. Kinda wish I hadn't mentioned it now... As I said above, 18months ago I was quite a bit overweight and not 'fit' in any way, shape or form. As some of you will probably remember, at that point I was thinking of doing a 10km run and mentioned this to a friend and he instantly gave me £20 sponsorship for doing it - as soon as he'd done that, there was no way I could back out, so had to train, get fit and run the 10km. Now with you lot pledging sponsorship money, I guess i'm in the same boat with this now - no backing out!! :eek:

SS - tell me more then. In actual fact, the Man-Blackpool ride is what put this idea in my head. We were originally going to enter that, but for a few reasons we decided to organise our own trip, and given where we live, that has ended up adding 40+ miles to the trip!!! So, how long did it take you to do the 60-odd miles? How many breaks along the route did you take, or did you do it non-stop?? You look in fairly good nick in the pic - almost like you could have turned round and cycled back yourself!!! Before you first did the long run - had you cycled that distance in training, or were your training runs shorter? I do make use of the hills - haven't got a choice around here!! I cycle to work, when the snow isn't here, twice a week, the journey home is 11.5miles and involves over 1100ft of incline - i do that without stopping in about 55mins. The journey in is slightly easier with just 500ft of uphill to contend with, so that takes around 40mins. But i've never cycled more than 14miles without stopping and never more than 18 in total in one day...yet...!!! I'm hoping to cycle to my cousin's house in the coming weeks, that'll be 26miles and some fair hills along the way.

Squeaky - let us know where you want us to steer clear of, and we'll do our best! ;) We're hoping to use as many off-road cycleways as we can find, and when that isn't possible, we'll be sticking well clear of main roads, so hopefully we wont bother you, even if we do happen to pass through your area.

For those that have offered sponsorship - I will be setting up a JustGiving page, so i'll post that on here when I've done it.

SS - couple of other things...

What bike did you do it on? I don't know a lot about bikes, and can't see much of it on the photograph you've posted - but the guy behind you seems to have completed it on a mountain bike. I intend to use my mountain bike, quite simply because i've got one and don't really want to spend money on a road bike. I have bought some semi-slick tyres for it though and the front suspension locks-out so I think i'll be ok on it. Surprised he isn't wearing a helmet either - would have thought they were compulsory on an organised event....

Did you take anything with you in terms of food?

Sponsored Links
Back