on/off switch for an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I hope somebody can help out there.

I have just had a new kitchen put into my flat which has had the oven built in, but when I asked the electrician why there was no on/off switch on the wall next to it, as I would have always expected, he told me that the "switch is behind the oven, as that is how it's done these days". He said that it can be switched off at "the consumer box".

Is it really "the way it's done these days" or am I being fed a line but if so, does it really matter where the on/off switch is? Or has he made a mistake and forgotten to put one in and is just covering his tracks? Also, does the "switch behind the oven" comply with the proper regulations?

Any help that could be given to settle my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

Sponsored Links
I'm not liking that. the means off switching off for maintenance or isolation for a fixed appliance should really be readily accessible. A washing machine for example would not be fixed and could be more easily slid out but a built in oven is a little more different in my view. I would put a switched fused spur in. Is the oven on a dedicated circuit, do you know the rating?

quote him reg 537.5.1.3. In general, all current using equipment requiring control shall be controlled by an appropriate functional switching device. I consider this not appropriate for a fixed appliance (current using equipment)

Out of interest, where does it say that an isolator should be provided within 2M of a cooker?
I've always done it, will always recommend it (even seen many posters on here quote the same) but have never seen it officially.
Is it a regulation or a manufacturers instruction?

17th man, if you're quoting 537.5.1.3 and say that a cooker requires functional switching then bear in mind a BS EN 60898 circuit breaker (if fitted) can be used for functional switching (table 53.2).

Sponsored Links
I see what you are getting at with the 2m. I would have considered that if the means of swithching provided came under also the means of switching for maintenance then readily accessible would mean the same room at least and not behind the fitted fixed appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back