HELP!!! Oven broke after flicking MCB switch to OFF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some assistance.
I managed to break the oven today after flicking the MCB switch to OFF whilst the oven was heating up. The MCB switch has since be reset but the oven is still broken.
It is also worth noting that the hob which runs off the same MCB switch does still have power.
I have also tried replacing the fuse in the oven plug but the oven remains broken.
Can anyone offer any solution to my problem?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ollie

Sponsored Links
No but i can obtain a voltage meter.
Would i need to test the voltage output from the MCB?
The thought did cross my mind, but was not sure if that was a common problem.
Would it not be easier to replace the circuit?

You need to be able to check whether mains voltage is present at the oven itself.
If it is, your oven's up the Swannee, if not then the problem is with the circuit. (No point in replacing the circuit if the fault's with the oven.)

Sponsored Links
When you say broken, what exactly do you mean?

Is it not heating? Has it got a clock? If it has does that come on, and have you set it to the correct time?

Or, is it completely dead?

I have swapped the oven and hob plug around. Unfortunately this hasn't made any difference.
I imagine the voltage output would be reduced across both the plugs. I shall try and check the voltage levels tomorrow.

Do you know how much voltage the sockets should have?

Oven is completely dead.
No clock, no light, no fan.
Am planning to checking the voltage output from the plug sockets before moving to the next phase.
Unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Thanks

I have swapped the oven and hob plug around.
Sorry when i mentioned the hob, what i was actually referring to was the ignition switch on the hob which is powered by the mains. If you remove this plug the then the ignition switch used to create the spark for the hob is disabled.
This has not been affected by this whole incident and remains in working condition.

Will report back once i have voltage levels

Just plug a radio or something in the oven socket that will confirm some L -N voltage if present

I have plugged the kettle in which also operates on a 13a plug and it works fine.
I guess the plug socket is fine and the problem must be an electrical fault with the oven.

any more suggestions?

Ollie_joe";p="811604 said:
No but i can obtain a voltage meter./quote]

Please do. Or a "Socket & see" type plug in tester.

Are you SURE the fuse in the oven plug is intact?

Use a continuity tester to make sure.

Just a thought
Have you checked the manual, it may be a sort of safety feature so if the power goes off in a power cut , whilst it is on, it does not automatically come back on.

Further to Rocky's thoughts, nearly all ovens with electronic clock/timer I have seen will not work until the clock is set, or a certain button pressed.

Not sure the previous owner left a manual but will check when i return home.
The oven is a Diplomat Select 610 and has an old style clock with hands rather than a digital timer.
It does have two buttons/dials but not sure what they do as have never actually used them whilst cooking.

Does anyone know where i can obtain a manual if needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back