ON-OFF switch + remote triggered timed override

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing ?

I need to add a timed override ON function to an existing switch for out door lighting without doing anything to the existing wiring to the switch.

The timer is to be triggered by a wireless signal from the garden gate opening to give about 5 minutes ON irrespective of the state of the ON-OFF switch. Timer to remain timing ON after the gate is shut.

At a push I could fit a new back box and blank front plate beneath the existing switch to house the timer unit and connect it across the switch.

Another option is to replace the switch with a remote controlled switch and timer and have the ON-OFF switch located elsewhere.

I am sure there must be off the shelf standard modules to solve this.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you are looking for here Bernard
There are loads of modular delay timers available as I'm sure you will be aware
Do you mean something contained in one package that will replace the existing switch?

Matt

Do you mean something contained in one package that will replace the existing switch?
Yes one retro fittable module ( 86 x 86 mm plate ). At a pinch I can fit a second back box and plate below the present switch.

Sponsored Links
I think I have the solution.

http://www.retrotouch.co.uk/remotelightswitchesct/00002.html replacing the existing switch providing manual control as at present.

The remote fob being used as the core of the remote gate sensor. A reed switch sensing the gate opening will "press" the ON button of the fob and start a timer. When the timer expires the OFF button on the fob will be "pressed" to turn the light OFF. An 8 pin chip should provide all the functionality needed.

Additional fob on the owners car keys will enable the outside lights to be turned ON and OFF when going to and from the car.

A third fob will allow the outside lights to be turned ON and OFF from any where in the house and over ride the timer if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back