on/off switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a Packard Bell Easy Note laptop. My problem is that when I go to start up computer I will have to switch it on and off about ten to fifteen times to get it to start, on the odd occasion it will come on first time. I assume it's the switch unless anyone knows different, also if this is the case is it a simple enough job to replace the switch and can anyone recommend a good supplier on the internet. Thanks for looking and your time, much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have to turn it on , then off the switch is working.

Can you clarify exactly what happens when you try and start it? Do you hit the power and it starts to boot up but freezes before it completes the process , or do you hit the power button and nothing happens at all ? I.e. no lights , no fan noise , hard drive activity etc etc

If you have to turn it on , then off the switch is working.

Can you clarify exactly what happens when you try and start it? Do you hit the power and it starts to boot up but freezes before it completes the process , or do you hit the power button and nothing happens at all ? I.e. no lights , no fan noise , hard drive activity etc etc
Hi thanks for getting back. What happens is, that the fan comes on for a few seconds the lights start flashing/the power lights on just as it would if it was going to boot up fully, it just does not go any further lights stay on but screen is blank, but as said before do this for dozen times or more then it will boot up fully.

OK , so it's not the power switch then. For some reason it isn't booting.

I am assuming you don't even get the scrolling line and XP logo. Can also assume that you get nothing at all on the screen, not even the initial splash screen?

Assuming all of that I would guess you have a hardware issue or maybe a BIOS update is required. How comfortable are you with removing the access panels underneath the laptop ?

Sponsored Links
OK , so it's not the power switch then. For some reason it isn't booting.

I am assuming you don't even get the scrolling line and XP logo. Can also assume that you get nothing at all on the screen, not even the initial splash screen?

Assuming all of that I would guess you have a hardware issue or maybe a BIOS update is required. How comfortable are you with removing the access panels underneath the laptop ?
Hi, I'm ok with that.

Well I'm hoping you have more than one stick of RAM in this machine so that you can swap them out to see if it improves matters. If you could also supply the exact make and model from the sticker underneath and what BIOS version you have it would be handy. WHen you power on the laptop you should be presented with an initial splash screen telling you how to get into the BIOS, either F1,F2,DEL, F12 usually. It should tell you the BIOS manufacturer and then a number i.e. Phoenix 1.12.1.1

Well I'm hoping you have more than one stick of RAM in this machine so that you can swap them out to see if it improves matters. If you could also supply the exact make and model from the sticker underneath and what BIOS version you have it would be handy. WHen you power on the laptop you should be presented with an initial splash screen telling you how to get into the BIOS, either F1,F2,DEL, F12 usually. It should tell you the BIOS manufacturer and then a number i.e. Phoenix 1.12.1.1
Ok, did what you asked and this is what came onto screen, hopefully it's what you require. At the top of screen INSYDE SOFTWARE SCU, in a box, headed SYSTEM, - SYSTEM BIOS = 1.11 and EC BIOS = 1.01 with names INTELL (R) and CELERON (R)M. The model is Easynote E2560. If you need anymore info please ask. Thanks again for your help and efforts.

Is this your machine???

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PB16M01001&t=1409

The ram does seem to be the most likely culprit. If it were a pc I would also be looking at the graphics card but in your case this is not a separate card but built into the motherboard.

Overheating/stuck fans seem unlikely as the machine would boot and then fall over as the cpu temperature rises.

To test the ram you can either swap it if it uses more than one stick or run the ram test program

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PB16M01001&t=2009

Alternatively download a live linux cd- set the first boot device as the cd drive- the linux o/s will run in the ram and will not install anything to the hard drive. By using this, if it runs smoothly you can assume that xp is corrupt.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

If your machine is not even booting to the bios splash screen then the motherboard might be faulty and probably not worth replacing. Bad ram should not prevent the bios from loading. Can you tell the bios to make the POST visable? This will let you see it checking the ram before windows loads.

I've seen this problem once or twice on a destop machine with a dead CMOS battery. I don't know how easy that would be to swap on this model of notebook though.

Sponsored Links
Back