One cold rad driving me nuts , hot at TRV cold at locksheild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all ,

If anyone can help with this id really appreciate it as its driving me mad and am freezing ! Living room rad has never worked as far as i can remember since we moved in.

It gets how at and just past the TRV , the inlet at the TRV on the rad is hot , its luke warm along the top but cold everywhere else and at the locksheild.

Have replaced TRV , Have bled every rad , have balanced system , have had radiator off and ran hose through it ( lot of brown water came out at first but then clear ) still the same. Only thing left as untested is the locksheild but for what it is wouldnt have thought it would just break ? Just wanted to advise as lost on what to do next other than trying a new rad but if current one flushed would that even make a difference !?

Sponsored Links
If you close every other rad by its TRV ,does problem rad heat fully ?
If it doesn't ,the lockshield or the pipework from it is likely blocked. Is pipework microbore ?

If you close every other rad by its TRV ,does problem rad heat fully ?
If it doesn't ,the lockshield or the pipework from it is likely blocked. Is pipework microbore ?
Just been round and closed them up , right now the top that would get warm is a lot hotter , but bottom still cold , maybe a little luke warm but could just be the tops that hot its radiating off it i guess. Il give it half hour or so and report back.

Is it a standard panel radiator ,or a vertical ,designer type ?
Do you have a hot water cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
Pic attached of radiator, Its a Combi boiler system

Attachments

• 20230113_201134.jpg
    20230113_201134.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 49
Has the system definitely been balanced properly?

The guide i followed left me with pretty much every rad on a quarter from off on all locksheilds and had this one fully open trying to get it hot, all other rads still hot at a quarter

Is it a standard panel radiator ,or a vertical ,designer type ?
Do you have a hot water cylinder ?
Just checked again now and it was cold , checked boiler and it has thrown a E125 code which is apparently circulation fault.

Sounds like you have a blockage on the pipework to that rads lockshield ,or the valve itself.
Open up the other rads TRV's and re set the boiler.

Sounds like you have a blockage on the pipework to that rads lockshield ,or the valve itself.
Open up the other rads TRV's and re set the boiler.

If it makes any difference just went on the Baxi site to check the code and its related to overheat , though most other websites list it as circulation.

Il go round and reopen them up and reset now.

Overheating boiler is mostly due to circulation problem. Best guess is a blockage in return pipework. Have you tried bleeding through the return?

Overheating boiler is mostly due to circulation problem. Best guess is a blockage in return pipework. Have you tried bleeding through the return?

Not sure how to go about bleeding through the return ?

Just had a call with Terry ( thanks again !) Going to drain rad etc to check locksheild and try and dislodge with some air. will hopefully report back when working !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back