One for Drivel

It's illegal to fit a noncondensing boiler![/b]

It isn't as long as the exception is met. Not sure about se and u-ducts coming into it. Worth looking.

I know there were boilers which USED to be fittable to U ducts! They aren't any more!

I think they still are.,.,.it needs some more research.

As the flat on the top floor, how about feeding a plastic flue and air pipe up the se-duct. Is it accessible from the roof? Then the se-duct is by-passed. It is being used a duct for the flue pipes. Or a two pipe flue with exhaust into the se-duct and fresh air taken from elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Checked the Gledhill Electramate, thanks, but it's 4 times the price, a bit low on CH output, not available quickly, and won't fit the cupboard because of pipes.

Checked the Gledhill Electramate, thanks, but it's 4 times the price, a bit low on CH output, not available quickly, and won't fit the cupboard because of pipes.

Did any of the makers give any reason why their boilers will not work in se-ducts? There is no apparent reason for them not too, especially the rail burner models.

http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf

A condensing boiler cannot be fitted in a se-duct. It is an exception so the non-condensing boiler can be fitted to the se-duct.

However like Tony, I'm sure I read in one of the the trade rags that a condensing boiler model can be fitted.

Sponsored Links
A condensing boiler cannot be fitted in a se-duct.
Yes I know, I have the document! However it's quite old so I checked a couple of mfrs.
I suggest you get it from the horses mouth, in case it changes :
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_CONDBOILER.pdf

It is an exception so the non-condensing boiler can be fitted to the se-duct.
It isn't an exception, you just have to use a different flue route. You don't get points for it like you do for a back boiler.
In this flat as I said, you could fit a condenser (and come under the 1000 points) but it would be a pain.

Poking pipes up the exhaust duct would be foolhardy - you're interfering with other people's flues and could easily land yourself and them in cack.

A condensing boiler cannot be fitted in a se-duct.
Yes I know, I have the document! However it's quite old so I checked a couple of mfrs.
I suggest you get it from the horses mouth, in case it changes :
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_CONDBOILER.pdf

It is an exception so the non-condensing boiler can be fitted to the se-duct.
It isn't an exception, you just have to use a different flue route. You don't get points for it like you do for a back boiler.
In this flat as I said, you could fit a condenser (and come under the 1000 points) but it would be a pain.

Poking pipes up the exhaust duct would be foolhardy - you're interfering with other people's flues and could easily land yourself and them in cack.

If you cant penetrate the walls or ceiling for whatever reason - and that is for whatever reason and that may be aesthetic, or a landlord policy - then you can fit a non-condensing boiler to a U-duct. That is a valid exception.

A landlord would not allow you to penetrate the ceilings walls on a high rise block - it is invariably a no, no for structural as well as aesthetic reasons.

I would have fitted a decent rail burner non-condensing combi.

And that would have been another illegal installation.
Exceptions are not given for U ducts, or aesthetics.

Ferroli modenas widely installed in Glasgow L.A housing u ducts about 5 years ago

And that would have been another illegal installation.
Exceptions are not given for U ducts, or aesthetics.

If the installer can't fit the boiler because of condition outside of his control, exception comes in. I would have fitted a non-condensing boiler in the U duct - legal. You have given a tenant a poor deal with high electric fuel bills.

If the installer can't fit the boiler because of condition outside of his control, exception comes in.
That IS drivel! You can't just make up whatever rule suits you.

There is a points system, whether you/I like it or not.
I have already told you a condensing boiler could have been fitted, but it would have been in an inconvenient position.
The fact the old boiler was into a U duct does not affect the issue.

If the installer can't fit the boiler because of condition outside of his control, exception comes in.
That IS drivel! You can't just make up whatever rule suits you.

***Incorrect information removed. MOD.

I know all about the points.

***Clearly not. MOD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back