One for the British Gas lads.

Ten boilers a day at 21 quid = £210 a day £1050 a week bg for same amount on salary is approx£600 a week so contractors on more. Use the 400 quid to pay for sick/ho;idays/van etc
Your choice to work for them

Sponsored Links
Its the TSM's that are the worst thing about the job.

90% of the TSM's in my patch have had the minimal experiance on tools.

Most of the COM's are seagull managers. ie. they fly in S*** on everything, than leave.

Ten boilers a day at 21 quid = £210 a day £1050 a week bg for same amount on salary is approx£600 a week so contractors on more. Use the 400 quid to pay for sick/ho;idays/van etc
Your choice to work for them

I get 18 per appliance and do 9 a day usually plus some timewasters like plumbing we don't get paid for at all, which I uderstand from my informant that you guys refuse to do, on our patch anyway as you don't get extra for it..

We have all our pay for the job docked if within 3 weeks of our visit there is any kind of call whatsoever to the house regardles of whether it has any reference to us. We are not told which job it is or why it is, we just get -18 on our list of jobs. Now that isn't a huge a problem for me as it sounds because I am very thorough and out of 500 jobs got 2 of these knock backs. I don't suppose that is the average.

I worked out from the hours I do and the overheads I carry that my pay calculates down to £10.50 per hour. Out of that £10.50 I have to cover my holliday pay pension and sick pay.

Welcome to the real world.

i refuse to do them on the basis that some contractor muppet that does less than a quarter of the work that i do on the average YSMI gets paid double what i do. **** that!

Less than a quarter of the work on an ASV? I am a contractor and have been for about 6 years. So you spend over an hour on each service?
Do you carry out the normal safety checks? The only reason I ask is this--------------- I wouldn't dream of slating off BG Engineers and that would only be too easy to do ( customer - I've been here over 7 years and never seen the cover off the boiler before ) etc etc
Not all BG engineers are Muppets, as possibly suggested by other forum members. The same applies to independent RGI's-------- some good, some bad. I know some really good BG engineers, direct labour and contractors.
As for getting paid double your money - quantify that.
You get a free van, tools, holiday, sick leave etc etc etc. We have to pay for our van, insurance, upkeep, tools, PLI, holidays, sickness etc etc.
For sure I have issues with BG, but then again, who doesn't?
The 'management' are ultinately responsible for the wellbeing of its staff and of course, its customers. BG Engineers can cope with 6 services a day, whereby I have to do at least 10 to make money. On IB's, Summer time it was 6 and Winter 9. I understand that has changed. According to 'management' - quality is required, not quantity.
As BG take on so many carp boilers/installations, direct labour engineers can visit on various occassions to a problematical fault. OK, so you might get pulled over the coals for multiple visits, but still get paid your salary.
We, on the other hand, only get paid per completion. So it's in our vested interest to get the fault sorted on the first visit, where posiible.
Don't get me wrong here fella, I fully understand your reasoning, but you must see that it's not the fault of the contractor, but BG themselves.

hey thats your choice to work for BG at whatever price they give you, im not saying i wouldnt do it either. they were hitting the heady heights of £23 a go last winter, im exaggerating with double that price i admit, but im not getting anywhere near £23. the management can stick radicals up their arse if they dont give me that same as the muppet contractors round here.

that may not apply to you or the contractors in your area, all i know is the ones round here barely even get asked if they want a ****ing cup of tea they are in the house for so short a time. when they do actually find anything wrong on a YSMI, they either lie to get out the door or put some random ****e in for direct labour to fit the next day with no warning.

"BG engineers can cope with 6 services a day"....eh? what does that mean? a YSMI at 0.91 each means at least 9 in an 8 hour shift to break even and winter or summer makes no difference at all to times or quotas.

BG are kidding themselves if they think that contractors are doing them any favours in the short or long term.

Sponsored Links
I get 18 per appliance and do 9 a day usually plus some timewasters like plumbing we don't get paid for at all, which I uderstand from my informant that you guys refuse to do, on our patch anyway as you don't get extra for it..

plumbing "services" are ignored by direct labour as no time is given for it as you say.

[all i know is the ones round here barely even get asked if they want a **** cup of tea they are in the house for so short a time. when they do actually find anything wrong on a YSMI, they either lie to get out the door or put some random s***te in for direct labour to fit the next day with no warning

Nicso that is not at all possible, either you are exagerating beyond reason or the management of your contracters is entirely different to our management.

We are driven to give very high performance. Yet I follow daily job after job years of neglect on the appliances I open up. Now unlike you I am not saying that neglect is by direct labour, it may also be by previous contractors. At the end of the day it is long years of neglect by somebody sent in by bg. I am absolutely sick of hearing the old dear in the chair watching m,e say "nobody has ever done that before". Sick to the eye teeth of it.

[all i know is the ones round here barely even get asked if they want a **** cup of tea they are in the house for so short a time. when they do actually find anything wrong on a YSMI, they either lie to get out the door or put some random s***te in for direct labour to fit the next day with no warning

Nicso that is not at all possible, either you are exagerating beyond reason or the management of your contracters is entirely different to our management.

We are driven to give very high performance. Yet I follow daily job after job years of neglect on the appliances I open up. Now unlike you I am not saying that neglect is by direct labour, it may also be by previous contractors. At the end of the day it is long years of neglect by somebody sent in by bg. I am absolutely sick of hearing the old dear in the chair watching m,e say "nobody has ever done that before". Sick to the eye teeth of it.

And the customer never lies?

yeah right

the odd customer may have it worng but don't forget I see the dirt marks in the casing seal from years of build up I see the smoke bomb placed just in the bbu, I see the build up of lint on the air intake lint arrester. And don't forget I am not pointing the finger at direct labour. I am speaking about the condition of boilers and fires I attend and the comments of customers. Likewise when I walk the system.

paul im not saying neglect is due to contractors. all im saying is the contractors round here are handless idiots who do less than the majority of direct labour.

i also am sick of the "its never been done like that before" line, especially when i serviced it recently. funny to see the look on them when i tell them though.

yes i am exaggerating but management of contractors round here is a joke. the only reason they get away with it is money and the TSM/COM's desperation to hit their own targets. ive given up flagging up their inadequate and dangerous servicing.

It always makes me laugh when bg engineers moan and whinge about the company but never have the balls to do anything about it like leave.

Take action and vote with your feet ffs!

I find it funnier that contractors have the gaul to slag a company who is giving them a living...
If they cant stand on there own 2 feet in the real world dont be slagging the company who is putting food on there plate.
This is servicing for fek sake the easiest job on the planet and very very easy to earn good money for doing part time hours doing 10 appliances a day and doing them right. full strip downs and walking the system.

But it does amaze me when listening to engineers (not customers) who boast that they done a good job by removing closer plate or taking insets out , Thats not a good job it is basic and standard

namsag";p="1292830 said:
I find it funnier that contractors have the gaul to slag a company who is giving them a living...
/quote] Would that be De Gaul. :?: The French president who created Centrica > Bring back the local gas co. with Bike and ladder, a job for life and a council house to live in :LOL:

It always makes me laugh when bg engineers moan and whinge about the company but never have the balls to do anything about it like leave.

Take action and vote with your feet ffs!

i wish you would vote with your feet and jog on from this forum.
read the title of post it says "one for the B.G lads , not " one for sacked B/G lads. you never worked for B/G long enough to earn the right to slag them off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back