One for the older guys :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well.... I'm sure most of the sparks on here may know what this is, but when my Dad took a light fitting down for me today he pulled this out and said he hadn't seen one for about 30/40 years when he had taken loads out. reckons it must be near 60 years old.

Anyone remember what it's called :LOL: sorry about the poor quality pic.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
He told me it was a Scru-It. Reckoned if I took it to a wholesalers, a lot of them wouldn't know what it is.

Scru-It was a brand name. The modern plastic equivalents are widely used in North America.

Theres also a crimp on plastic type, found in a lot of light fittings these days

3M make them (plastic modern version) they are CE approved and we used to use them a lot at the beeb, far more secure fixing(if installed properly) than a connector block could ever be, vibration proof and waterproof.

Used to be called Dog kocks
Thought we were the only ones to call em that :LOL:

I dug this selection of American Wire-Nuts out of my junk box for comparison. Note the wire-springs inside which tighten down on the conductors:

WireNuts1.jpg

WireNuts2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back