One gang socket with USB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody come across a one gang socket outlet with a single USB socket (with or without a 3 pin square socket)? Nearest I can find is a one gang plate with 4 x USB's but a bit pricey at £23 + VAT.

My daughter wants to plug in a NEST wireless thermostat - which still needs a wired power connection. This has a power cable with USB both ends. The idea was to put this on the living room wall (it has a wall mounting plate) with the USB cable through the wall to a socket on the other side - but there is only room for a single socket. Ideally it would be USB only then I can wire it 6 amp from a lighting connection but could use an intermediate FCU if need be.

Grateful for ideas.

Sponsored Links
A wireless thermostat ,that needs a wire that connects to the mains ?? Is that a wireless thermostat ?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. Now found a Knightsbridge 13A socket + 1A USB on TLC website which is perfect for the job. Thanks all.

Thinking this through further, is there any reason I cannot cut the USB plug off the remote end of the charger cable and connect into an fcu with a 1amp fuse. A USB lead is just 2 wires I assume, albeit very fine. It seems to be a lot neater?

Unless I've misread your intentions there...

You're going to put 230v AC down a USB cable?!?! :eek::eek: You'll destroy the Nest and possibly kill someone also.

is there any reason I cannot cut the USB plug off the remote end of the charger cable and connect into an fcu with a 1amp fuse
Are you serious?? You do know usb power output generally is 5v and that the sockets have a built in power supply? Connecting a usb to 230v would kill the thermostat and possibly you

Are you serious?? You do know usb power output generally is 5v and that the sockets have a built in power supply? Connecting a usb to 230v would kill the thermostat and possibly you

I knew there was a reason. Good job I asked, blame the 'flu jab I had today.

Blimey , I have a wireless kettle and didnt even know:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I think you'll find that 'wireless' refers to the means of communication with other devices, not the source of power to the device - it may be battery powered, but will often use mains-derived power - at least 'at one end' of the 'wireless communication'. Like virtually all of them, my WiFi router is 'wireless' (the 'Wi' of WiFi is a clue) but is still requires mains-derived power to work. Wirelessly-interconnected mains-powered smoke alarms are common. etc. etc.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back