One hours notice

O

oompah

Just what is happening to the labour market in this country when the likes of BMW only give one hours notice that 850 people are out of work.The Labour Governments of old would not allow this to happen where is the protection of employment rights.My dad who was a staunch labourite used to say that the tories would have 10 people looking for each job advertised this bunch now are doing a more than passable job of even out doing M Thatcher at least she sold all manner of things off to pay for unemployment,we are going to pay now by being loaded with government debt,rant over.

Sponsored Links
It sounds bad but they were only agency workers. Whether there were 5 or 850 really shouldn't come into it.

That's the trouble with agency work, the industry I work in thrives on agency or freelancer working they get paid well but take all the carp that goes with it, firms will make sure that the agency workers don't get too much work that they start to get rights so they end up with spells of working and not working on a regular basis.
Another trend is the short term contract where you work just up until you have rights (1 yr) then you are laid off for a short while then re-employed.

The whole thing stinks but thats the power that firms have these days.

Is it time we had solidarity amongst the workers or are we going to let employers walk all over us until there is no more work?

Well here's the problem, BMW like a load of firms over here are foreign owned due to our selling off of british industry by a certain horrible woman prime minister and any action will just stop those firms investing over here.

Time we started to invest in british firms again? or do you think its better just to let GBritain sink into the sea?

Labour followed on from the Tories by not rebuilding industry in this country they relied on the service industry and now there is no money to build sod all its gone to the banks to service their losses.Foreign firms will keep coming in and exploiting the labour laws until we sign up to the European directive on agency workers and when we do or if we do then foreign firms probaly won't come here, either way its a double edged sword for G Brown (to coin a old phrase)and his labour isn't working rabble.

Sponsored Links
Labour followed on from the Tories by not rebuilding industry in this country they relied on the service industry and now there is no money to build s** all its gone to the banks to service their losses.Foreign firms will keep coming in and exploiting the labour laws until we sign up to the European directive on agency workers and when we do or if we do then foreign firms probaly won't come here, either way its a double edged sword for G Brown (to coin a old phrase)and his labour isn't working rabble.
Trouble is how do you rebuild something thats not there anymore?

It would now take such huge investment that we'd all be burdened with tax to pay for it, it should never have been allowed to be sold off in the first place, only alternative i can see is to grab and nationalise though what government would risk the repercussions from europe?

Just what would the repercussions from Europe be?in reality we have part nationlised the banks with not much opposition we are supposed to be in uncharted territory with this recession so use it as a cover.

Just what would the repercussions from Europe be?in reality we have part nationlised the banks with not much opposition we are supposed to be in uncharted territory with this recession so use it as a cover.
Im talking of stealing assets back from foreign companies ie those that are based in this country.
we could start with the utilities for instance.

Seems to me that some foreign companies are not playing by the rules so why should the UK?

Labour followed on from the Tories by not rebuilding industry in this country they relied on the service industry and now there is no money to build s** all its gone to the banks to service their losses.Foreign firms will keep coming in and exploiting the labour laws until we sign up to the European directive on agency workers and when we do or if we do then foreign firms probaly won't come here, either way its a double edged sword for G Brown (to coin a old phrase)and his labour isn't working rabble.
Trouble is how do you rebuild something thats not there anymore?

It would now take such huge investment that we'd all be burdened with tax to pay for it, it should never have been allowed to be sold off in the first place, only alternative i can see is to grab and nationalise though what government would risk the repercussions from europe?

much as it breaks my heart tim i have to agree with you

I didn't even get 1 hours notice. (Edit - And I had worked there 20 years - not agency).

It was instant redundancy, clear your desk & piddle off.

I get 12 weeks PILON though along with my redundancy pay & holidays.

I'm glad to be away from the place now, finding work may be hard & its taking longer than I'd expect (where have the sodding job clubs gone?) but I'm certainly looking for a different career now.

yes its tragic, but unfourtunately, thats why firms engage agency labour.

they have few rights. 13 week contracts, 1hr notice.

it solves an over production problem like a relief valve, they can only park so many cars in fields.

dammned good reason to join a union now :!: :!: :!:

The Chinese worker banks half his wages so he's not doing that bad. The Chinese banks then lend our banks money so we can borrow to buy Chinese goods. Economics of the madhouse.

Sponsored Links
Back