One leak triggers another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my British Gas branded Worcester combi boiler repaired by a British Gas engineer after it was slowly leaking mains water from what turned out to be a split manifold.
All was good for 2 days, now today the work surface underneath it and the floor under the washing machine below are wet through again, because it's dripping in a slightly different spot.

The dripping comes from just in front of the condensate pipe (no part of this will be frozen as it does not run outside but joins the washing machine waste). Interestingly though it isn't dripping all the time, but profusely when the central heating is running, and for a while after a hot tap has been used. Am I right in thinking this will be a leak from the CH system, or condensate trap? The CH pressure hasn't dropped yet.

BG can't come back until Monday :mad: even though I've claimed we have no heating (due to not daring to put it back on!). Just thought I'd ask if anyone had an idea.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How does the condensate join the washing machine waste?
Sounds like blockage upstream of that tee.

Had the same problem on our Ideal logic after a service. Not sure if they are a similar set up or not but the condensate pipe has an anti syphon bottle in line & the engineer had cracked the top of the plastic bottle so that when heating came on bottle overflowed through the crack instead of out through the pipe

Sponsored Links
Had the same problem on our Ideal logic after a service. Not sure if they are a similar set up or not but the condensate pipe has an anti syphon bottle in line & the engineer had cracked the top of the plastic bottle so that when heating came on bottle overflowed through the crack instead of out through the pipe
How the hell did they do that?! Was it cleaned with a hammer?

OP it will be a condensate leak if its doing it mostly on CH.

How the hell did they do that?! Was it cleaned with a hammer?

OP it will be a condensate leak if its doing it mostly on CH.
No, bottle very difficult to refit to pipe because of seal & top of bottle brittle with age so I can understand how it happened. An easy fix though.

Sounds like condensate leaking .
Can you show us a pic of where it drips from ?

Thanks for that suggestion, as it inspired me to get my head under there and have a proper look! You can see where the joint between the flexible pipe from the condensate trap and the plastic waste pipe has been dislodged! I have shoved them back together and fingers crossed, the dripping has ceased.
There is a messy clump of PTFE tape there, would you suggest I keep the BG engineer appointment and ask for the joint to be remade properly?

Many thanks once again!

Attachments

• Boiler Leak.jpg
    Boiler Leak.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 83
No, bottle very difficult to refit to pipe because of seal & top of bottle brittle with age
Its really not difficult to take out or refit on a logic and it shoudnt be brittle unless its been subject to some serious heat.

Its really not difficult to take out or refit on a logic and it shoudnt be brittle unless its been subject to some serious heat.
Well this one is/was, perhaps not a well made bottle as seal is definitely difficult to get over the pipe, but I would have thought it needed to be tight so as not to leak. Perhaps he was a bit careless refitting it after the service but I also had to apply a fair bit of upward pressure after I had repaired it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back