One switch for ALL lights

would not work.

a relay is either on or off, you would not need to reverse the polarity.

if it was off it would be open cct. if it was on it would be closed cct (yes it could also be reversed, but still of no use)

you have 1, of what said above

Sponsored Links
How about Plan B, based on the good old KISS principle.

Just turn the f*****g lights off when you leave a room, then there won't be any on to have to turn off before you leave the building.

the complexity and cost of relays contactors and rewiring control circuits/ output wiring in a domestic premises would be prohibitive when there are relatively cheap electronic systems on the market that utilise existing wiring( no rewire at all needed) that can do what is wanted and more must be the best alternative?

I never suggested having relays, i merely pointed out how it could be done, crafty1289 was the first to mention relays

crafty1289 said:
Is there a system that uses normal-looking light switches, which are in fact wired normally, that can be connected via bellwire or alarm cable to a central control panel? Then inside every switch could be a contactor which allows remote switching from control panel, as well as local switching. In fact, you could also have an upgrade to RF remotes which send signals back to the control panel then to the switches.

also if you re read the first post, the place has to be re wired anyway, but to help the "never going to happen anyway" debate what would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
the suggestion i drew isn't actually a relay, its a physical contact that throws the switch, not a magnet. The iron bar in the solenoid can move freely up and down when there is no current (to turn on, a current is applied to it for, say, a second, and vica-versa and then it rests, and can therefore be moved by throwing the switch and inducing a current back to the control board)

the above suggestions involving solenoids ,relays, contactors etc may well work but cost for one has to be considered also made up control gear could leave oneself open to dispute with insurance companies if a claim was needed whereas the use of CE approved automation equipment would be covered negating the need for an electrician in the first place.

I have a system like this, but it's much much more complex than most people would want to entertain. :)

The best way to do it I think would be to have a system whereby the light switches in all rooms revert to the off position in the event of the power being removed.

That way all you'd need is to break the power feed to the lighting curcuit for a second and then restore it, and all lights that were on would be extinguished, a simple N/C momentary switch at the exit connected through a contactor with the required number of poles would facilitate this nicely.

The advantage of my system over the suggested method of having a large disconnection switch at the exit, is that nothing needs to be done on your return to allow the lights to work again. Also no real additional wiring is required other than that through the contactor and the feed to the exit NC switch.

As for finding/constructing switches that will revert to the off state once the supply has been removed, I'm not sure if any such thing is commercially available, but anything non mechanical i.e electronic would presumably have this 'feature' If nothing can be found then a simple relay switch that latches on would do nicely.

If you are interested in this system I could elaborate further on how the light switches could work, but in essence a NO and an NC momentary switch feeding a SPCO relay with the NC in series and the NO applying power to the coil with the relay contacts in parallel with the NO switch and the light fitting in parallel with the relay coil.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

toasty said:
The best way to do it I think would be to have a system whereby the light switches in all rooms revert to the off position in the event of the power being removed.
the one problem with that idea is a momentry power cut would kill all your lights which may be seriuously undesirable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back