One way into two way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have existing lighting in my garage that has only one switch ( 1 way ) that operates 2 florescent lights, I would like to be able to switch them on from the other end of the garage, can you please help

Sponsored Links
Well you need to run 3core and earth cable from the existing switch to the new switch.

Fit a new 2 way switch.

Ensure the existing switch is 2 way (has 3 metal terminals) or replace with a 2 way switch.

And wire up as per the wiki

As said needs three cables and earth between switches. Both switches connected like for like so if brown used with com on one switch then brown also com with other switch.

The original switch wires are also moved so an original switch with Com and L1 used will be replaced using L1 and L2.

Important point is com will only have one wire in it and must be same wire with both switches unless using intermediate switches follow that and can't really get it wrong.

Below basic diagram of how it works.

two-way-real.bmp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back