Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have asked me to change over a light switch that a garage repair guy broke removing the old garage door.
they had two switches in one lightswitch. I have just bought a metal two way light switch, but cannot get the lights to work.
in the garage off the old switch was 3 florescent lights and off the other switch was another 3 florescent light switches.
the old switch is totally different design from the new one.
the new switch has 2 COM's at the top and the L1, L2 on the LHS bottom, and then L1, L2 on the RHS bottom, an earth on the cover and anearth on the wall plate. I have 2 x 3 core cable coming in, both with 2 xLive, 2 x earth, and 2 x neutral.
Please can someone tell me how to wire this up.
sorry if it seems so simple to some, but i only have very basic electrical knowledge.

Sponsored Links
this is well below basic electrical knowledge...

why don't people think?

"hmm let me take a picture / make a not of what goes where BEFORE i take the wires out of the switch"

red into com
black ( NOT A NEUTRAL ) into the L1... repeat for other switch.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, I will give it a try!!

By the way its "make a note of what goes where BEFORE i take the wires out of the switch."

NOT

"make a not of what goes where BEFORE i take the wires out of the switch."
Good job your not an english teacher.!!!!!!!!!!!

no but I am dyslexic and the spell checker didn't pick it up.... so thanks for making fun of my disability.. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I will give it a try!!

By the way its "make a note of what goes where BEFORE i take the wires out of the switch."

NOT

"make a not of what goes where BEFORE i take the wires out of the switch."

So you come here asking for help, and when you get it, you make fun of someones spelling, even though it was quite clear what he meant?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ECHk19rGV1d4ZM:http://bp2.blogger.com/_5tKvwoPy9SM/R-O-2nmHHUI/AAAAAAAABK8/8erOdv6gMMM/s320/rg-******.jpg

Well taffy, your English is pretty poor also.
You said

It is "Good job you're not an English teacher.!!!!!!!!!

In English we use the apostrophe to indicate the shortened (familiar)version. So you're is the familiar way of saying "you are".
You have incorrectly use "your" which mean something that belongs to you.

You should make sure that you are right before you shoot your mouth off.

PS, please use the capital E for English. Thank you ;)

Let's not turn this into a personal slagging match people. He was obviously a bit put out by my reply and felt the need to try and make himself look cleverer than he felt after I admonished his electrical ability..

I figured it was a gramatical error and let it slide, which is more than he did for me...

furthermore, your parents should get a professional electrician in to do it and then send the bill to the garage door people since they damaged it and their insurance should cover it.. that's why professionals have it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back