only 2 wires to cooker safety switch HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have recently moved into a house
i have plugged in one of those wiring testers with 3 lights on it for problems with earth/live cable/fuse etc

when i tested 2 of my kitchen sockets it said they were not earthed
so switched electric off. took socket covers off - wiring ok. but i traced the wiring this is what I found.

The cooker switch box has one thick red wire and one thick black wire entering it from the main supply - but leaving it is red/green-yellow/black going to cooker terminal and also red/green-yellow/black going to another single socket which has a spur going to a double socket

I don't know much about electrics, but this does not seem right to me. shouldn't it have an earth?

Please help me

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the wiring done in conduit? (Pipe for running cables in)

If it is, that may be used as the "earth".

Sponsored Links
not that i can see. i can only see the wires. they do not have any give. if i put my hand down the inside of wall all i can feel are the two cables

Sorry i don't seem to be of much use

Can you not see if the single cables go into a conduit tube or are just buried in plaster?

Whatever, the earth appears to be missing. Unscrew one of the dodgy outlets and put the probes of a MM set to continuity- one on the dodgy box and one on the earth conductor in the cooker outlet. Do you get a beep?

However, running outlets off a cooker circuit does not sound kosher done the way you describe. Maybe a job for a spark?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back