Oooppsss - should have read the instructions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to tile the toilet - the existing walls were painted with a kitchen and bathroom type paint and parts of this were pealing off - straight through to the the bare plaster. In other places the paint was stuck firmly but - because of its shiney finish - I decided it should all come off.

I had some paint stripper in the garage so on it went and off came the paint (its only a small room so it was no problem to do all the walls). I then sanded the walls flat and PVA'd ready for tiling.

Looking on the web I now realise that paint should be removed mechanically. Is it going to be a problem that I used paint stripper???

I see that PVA can also cause problems as it can re-emulsify if it gets wet. Is this going to be a problem in a toilet - there is no bath or shower in the room, just a toilet and a wash basin???

Can someone please reassure me or tell me what to do next? I dont want to tile if this is going to end up in DIY Disasters :cry:

BTW the adhesive I've purchased is BAL and the tiles are ceramic - 200mm square.

Thank you

Davey

Sponsored Links
Phew that's a relief :cool:

BTW it's BAL Greenstar - what the nice man in Topps recommended ;)

Thanks for your help :)

Ok Davey, that's about the cheapest Bal adhesive you can get and to be honest I've not used it. As you have no wet areas, you'll be ok. What did they charge you per tub?

Sponsored Links
£17.99 for 15 kg.

Not cheap this wall tiling is it :eek:

Having said that we found a box of tiles in the garage left over from when a previous owner tiled the bathroom. Just got enough if I dont break too many putting them up :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back