Ooops! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done a really silly thing!!

Having house painted at the mo by a friend. Anyway, long story short is that it is taking a long time to do and so I thought I'd be helpful (1st mistake!) and do the hallway!

I went into the room that he'd left the paint stuff and got what I thought to be the right paint - according to the label. Anyway, hall done but, it appears that my pale green is white and shiny, yes you've guessed, the guy has put gloss undercoat in the tin which should have contained the paint and consequently I've got white gloss undercoat on my walls.

What do I do?! It is the intention to put apple white on the wall which is a matt. Any ideas?

I've gone into panic mode now with it and even contemplated hiring a steam wallpaper stripper to strip the walls in the hall completely. The only thing stopping me doing this is that I'm not sure what I'll find there as the rest of my walls that have been stripped have been horrid with regards to the plastering!

Any ideas as to what I can do? Is it possible to put matt over a gloss undercoat?

Apologies but I'm new to this decorating!

Sponsored Links
Hi. Dont panic. What you need to do is leave it a good day or so, let it completely dry. Sand the glossed area to provide a key for the paint and to take out any thick edges left by your brush. You will be ok to paint over it then, its not ideal but ok. You`ll notice this area will take a lot longer to dry but thats normal. alternativley you could put some normal oil based undercoat over the gloss this is better for the matt to key to. Good luck

Just to add, if you`ve done the whole wall with the gloss, go with the undercoat option, this will have a flat finish perfect for applying the matt. Definately dont use emulsion over a full wall of gloss.

Sponsored Links
The op says he has used gloss undercoat, not actual gloss, as I understand it.

When you say gloss undercoat do you mean regular oil-based undercoat? This will not be shiny, as such, as you describe.

Or have you used actual gloss finish paint?

Assuming it is oil-based undercoat (and not actual gloss) there shouldn't be too much of a prolem. After all, undercoat is often used on walls to cover stains, etc.
Give the walls a light sanding when dry, and carry on with the emulsion.

As mentioned, if the walls have been done in actual gloss (or similar) you will need to give this a good even rub down when totally hardened, undercoat, light sanding, emulsion.

Appologies if I have misunderstood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back