Open fire back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Hope someone can help me with a couple of questions? We live in a victorian terrcaced house and the large original built in Yorkshire cast iron range is still here. I've used it for years as just an open fire. I've now got a free unlimited supply of hardwood to burn. :D I'd like to use this now to supplement the hot water (seems a shame to get nowt from it if it's free)!!

I was considering installing a 'box type' back boiler. The supply will be the domestic hot water system (which is currently heated indirectly by the gas boiler on a vented system). This would then gravity feed the H/W tank directly with heated water from the back boiler(vented to expansion header tank). I'd also be installing a rad or towel rails or something to get rid of any excess uncontolled heat in the system. OK...here's the questions:

1. Is the direct system I've described OK, as opposed to installing an indirect two coil hot water tank?
2. The height from range to H/W tank is approx 18ft, with the header tank approx 8 ft above this. Would the gravity feed system be OK without a pump over this height?
3. It looks like the ORIGINAL back boiler sat on a shelf some 12" above the fire grate. This seems rather high to me? :confused: Can any of the 'older end' who remembers what I'm talking about advise me on siting? (as far as I understand, the boiler is in direct contact with the flames and is not behind biscuit type fire bricks?
4. Finally....I know it's a lengthy post..this is just to supplement the H/W system. I realise it might not be very efficient...but it's free! Please.... any other comments, ideas, criticism or whatever else would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Howard

Sponsored Links
Hey....c'mon guys.....44 views and not one reply? Really could do with some help on this one....anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back