Open fire conversion to Multifuel stove

Sponsored Links
hi nice job you have done but i thought that building control should be involved if you alter the type of flue and its use then you have to fit an information plate giving flue flow results i have found some information regarding the requirements

..................................................................................................

The fuel burning appliance installer should provide you with information about the safety performance limits of the installation and, in cases where the hearth, fireplace, flue and chimney are intended as permanent features of the building that might need alteration in the future, should also fix a notice plate in a place where it will be readily seen – eg. adjacent to the mains water stop cock or adjacent to the electricity consumer unit. This is so that someone who comes to re-use these features in the future knows their performance limits, for example if they are changing the appliance. Notice Plates are not required however, where room-sealed balanced-flue appliances have been installed, since their composite flue outlet and air intake ducts are dedicated to specific appliance ranges rather than wider use.

Just a thought as its all to do with safety as the other poster states co kills and you are still burning a fossil fuel

All very valid points Mick, which is why I have CO detectors strategically placed around the house.

I had a Multifuel stove in my old house, cost £700 for a little one (Morso), but you really get what you pay for.

Everyone used to complain the house was cold in winter. Once we got it fired up, people were stripping of.

We never had a flue, just used the chimney as it was. The advise I got, was provided it was swept and in good condition it was ok,however the chimney should be inspected for leaks etc (the sweep should be able to do this for you)
If you are going to block of the chimney, you need to allow access for sweeping about once a year.
Build up of soot is THE main cause of fires.

Here what many people don't realise.
With may of the more expensive stoves, you can run multiple feeds of them and heat more than one room at a time, expensive option though.
Our dealer pointed out that making a whole in the ceiling and floor above, and fitting a grill means you can heat upstairs at the same time and it is MUCH cheaper than using dedicated heat pipes

Sponsored Links
I've been thinking about this for a while, and today at 1pm I decided to rip out our ugly fireplace ot make way for a MF stove. I want the chimney breast to be exposed brick, so there was a lot of grinding / chipping of the plaster off the wall.

Before

After a bit of crow bar action

After tile surround removal

Then the boring plaster stripping process

I used a grinder with a wire brush attachment to bring off the main plaster remnants.

I just need to work out what else I can do to 'liven up' the look of the bricks

The stove has been ordered and should arrive this week. I have decided to make my own register plate as they are b****y expensive!!

EDIT: And I also decided to rip up the carpet and found perfect condition wooden floorboards, so they will be getting a sanding as well :D
I am looking to remove my gas fire and fit a Invicta log burning stove would you recomend a good move? :confused:

I am looking to remove my gas fire and fit a Invicta log burning stove would you recomend a good move?

Depends on your circumstances, chimney etc , but I will always have one now. Would never go back to be honest. The stove has been lit since Sunday, with the central heating turned off. The house is 'aired' and the room the stove is in is very cosy. If I can find a cheap source of wood I'll be laughing all the way to teh bank as well :LOL:

Our dealer pointed out that making a whole in the ceiling and floor above, and fitting a grill means you can heat upstairs at the same time and it is MUCH cheaper than using dedicated heat pipes
I'd advise against this. A hole in the ceiling that lets the heat upstairs also compromises fire security - a fire in the sitting room could spread upstairs more quickly than you could get downstairs and out...

We have a multifuel burner with a boiler in the room upstairs to make hot water, and use something called an Ecofan to push hot air into the room - it sits on top of the stove and uses the peltier effect to make electricity to run the fan. Ingenious, and effective.

what sort of price is a registration plate? have done a lot of steelwork in the past but don't know how much I'll be saving myself by doin it, ie, is it worth me messin with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back