Open porch light - Code 1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall lantern within reach from door-step. No bulb = Direct Contact.

Would this be Code 1?

Seems like it to me.

Lantern.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would code it a ONE, it also corroded at the bottom - best replaced with an suitable enclosed unit, ideally polycarbonate in construction.

Not if there's nothing wrong with the installation.

Perhaps it's switched off/disconnected. Put in a bulb.

Electricity police on the way.

Compulsory rewires on anything more than five years old.

Titanium consumer units only.
Locked and sealed by installer. Application to LA when breaker trips.

Gas banned.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with it. Many lights outside don't have a bottom to them.

And many light fittings inside the home will be without a lamp fitted.

It is quite unbelievable though that the design of lampholders hasn't changed much for a safer design, though didn't MK do one though?

Broken glass doesn't do any favours.

Client not looking for any unnecessary expense ... same old story.

Seems odd that it's okay in the rain,
To be serious:

While accepting the fact that it will present a danger to anyone repairing it wherever it was, is your objection that someone can stick their finger in it on purpose while standing on the ground?

but wouldn't be okay in Zone 2 next to a shower.
The restriction is not because it is next to a shower, but because someone may be standing in water.

... is your objection that someone can stick their finger in it on purpose while standing on the ground?

I think that just about sums it up.

It's no more than 6ft off the ground, accessible from a public pavement. You or I wouldn't go poking anything in, but then in this risk-averse world ...

Just makes me think o_O

I think my "on purpose" is the relevant point; hard to do it by accident.

We could call it a Darwin lamp.

Definitely not a C1. That's how the fitting was designed. I could take the lamp out of my wall light and put my finger in it. Does that make it a C1?

I'm not convinced that it is within the scope of BS 7671, and therefore liable for any code at all.

The missing lamp BAS? I agree not. It is a H&S issue that needs flagged up to the owners though.
The regs spec what type of luminaires are allowed so the corrosion will be within scope and could go down as C3

416.2.1 Live parts shall be inside enclosures or behind barriers providing at least the degree of protection IPXXB or IP2X except that, where larger openings occur during the replacement of parts, such as certain lampholders or fuses, or where larger openings are necessary to allow the proper functioning of equipment according to the relevant requirements for the equipment.

It would seem a lamp holder is exempt, there is no time stipulated for the replacement of the parts. Also:-

416.2.4 Where it is necessary to remove a barrier or open an enclosure or remove parts of enclosures, this
shall be possible only:
(i) by the use of a key or tool, or
(ii) after disconnection of the supply to live parts against which the barriers or enclosures afford protection, restoration of the supply being possible only after replacement or reclosure of the barrier or enclosure. or
(iii) where an intermediate barrier providing a degree of protection of at least IPXXB or IP2X prevents contact with live parts, by the use of a key or tool to remove the intermediate barrier.
NOTE: This regulation does not apply to:
a ceiling rose complying with BS 67
a cord operated switch complying with BS 3676
a bayonet lampholder complying with BS EN 61184
an Edison screw lampholder complying with BS EN 60238.

So I know it seems daft, but historical design has resulted in this being permitted. So no code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back