Open Vented pipework with no draindown?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving a couple of downstairs rads and also possibly changing some valves for TRVs on an open vented system. There are is no drain point that I can find and the pipework is below a wooden floor.

I'm wondering if I close the gatevalve on the CW out from the F&E tank and also cap the vent, will there be enough vacuum to allow me to work on the pipes/valves? Also probably closing off all the rads to isolate the water in them? I want to avoid a full draindown if at all possible since it looks like it's going to be a pain (there's no route to the outside below the floor to drain anything and I guess it's a bad idea to drain onto the earth subfloor).

I'm planning to get the new pipework ready with a pushfit to join new to old so it would be a matter of cutting through the old pipe and attaching new pipe with that pretty quickly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may obtain enough of a seal but if not bung the outlet of the F/E tank.
You can also isolate and remove the rad and then use the rad valve as a drain point.
If fitting new valves, then fit valves with integral drain cocks.
Arctic kits are not the choice of professionals.

Sponsored Links
You may obtain enough of a seal but if not bung the outlet of the F/E tank.
You can also isolate and remove the rad and then use the rad valve as a drain point.
If fitting new valves, then fit valves with integral drain cocks.
Arctic kits are not the choice of professionals.

Thanks, only problem with rad valve drainoffs is there's a lot of pipework below that level so it would still leave some water in the pipes, better than nothing though.

Oh, and I suppose I'd better mount the JB currently resting on the floor (thank's previous owner) elsewhere if there's a danger of water getting on the sub floor!

If you close the rad valves all you are draining is the pipework, perhaps 20 litres.

The best place for a drainoff is connected under the floor and going straight out through the wall to the outside if thats possible.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back