Opening front door is triggering my house alarm

Definitely only 2 wires into the door contact Motman. I am going to try your idea first as I do think it might be a cable or contact problem due to the intermittent nature of the issue.
Will let you know how i get on.

Sponsored Links
If that makes no difference, try a test length of wire from the control panel entry/exit circuit (you probably won't be able to set the alarm with the c/p cover off unless you hold down the panel tamper switch). If that cures it, it's the wire. If it doesn't, it's the panel.

Thanks Motman, the hard part is working out which are the 2 wires in the control panel that have come from the door contact.
I wonder if they don't go straight back to the panel, and instead go via the pir sensor in the hallway? Is it possible they are in series?

Normally they are seperate and it should be marked entry/exit in the panel. You normally find that the hall pir is disabled when the entry/exit is triggered to allow persons coming via the correct entry route to get to the keypad without triggering an alarm.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok folks! Think we have got somewhere. Tried Motmans suggestion and alarm worked fine with correct entry /exit procedure. So tried it again with pir unmasked, and again worked fine.
This made me think the issue is the door contact itself. So put old contact back on, but left the new magnet side on. Lo and behold it seems to be working again.
Obviously was originally an intermittent fault so will need to check over next few days, but fingers crossed!!!!!!!
Couldn't have worked this out without your knowledge and logic guys. Really appreciate your help.
Thanks Zack.

May have been a weak magnet. Check the air gap between the two units.

Nope, too far, the magnet might be weakening. Reduce it to about 5mm, and that should make it more consitant, and hopefully, cure the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back