Alarm with front door opening into living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First time post here, had a read through the alarm forum but had a question i couldn't see answered before...

We've moved into our new house a few months ago, and as part of the renovation I want to fit an alarm.

I'm currently looking at fitting a Texecom Premier alarm, and seem to have everything worked out apart from one bit...

The (internal*) front door of the house opens into an open plan living room, which also has the stairs in it.
I was thinking about having a contact on the front door, and also a PIR in the living room.

Question is, if the front door is opening into the living room, what would happen when the front door is opened?
  • If the door contact opens first, will that trigger the front door is open and give me the usual 20-30 seconds to deactivate alarm?
    Or will the PIR also detect movement and trigger an alarm condition?
    Or something else?

Alternatively, is there a way I could get this to work with both the PIR and door contact?

* I noted internal front door, as we have a porch door that we walk through first before opening the door into the original part of the house. I suppose one option is to put the keypad in the porch and activate/deactivate the alarm from there, but the porch has a clear window which would make it easy to see a keypad in there, so i wasnt too keen on that unless it was absolutely necessary

All comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
desig

Sponsored Links
In a wireless system the PIR in the hall must be set so that it is NOT triggered by the front door opening. The reason for this is that if the PIR and door sensor are both triggered at the same time then they will both transmit "alarm" at the same time. When two sensors transmit at the same time the panel will not receive the "alarm" messages clearly and may not react correctly if it reacts at all.

In a wireless system that has two way communications between panel and sensors then the sensors can repeat the "alarm" until they receive an acknowledgement from the panel

Hi bernardgreen,
Thanks for the response. I'm looking at having a wired Texecom system, is it possible to do the same with them? I haven't been able to get hold of an installation manual yet to check that (will get one when i buy and fit the alarm)

Yes with a wired alarm the panel will receive and react to both the alarms from the door and and from the PIR even if both are triggered at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry there are thousands of alarms with this set up, as long as you choose a quality pir, eg optex rx40 .... Other brands available ... You won't have a problem

It's no different to having a PIR in the hall and your front door as the E/E.
The front door is programmed as E/E zone 20 / 30 seconds or whatever you want, the PIR can be programmed as inhibited entry, this will cause an instant alarm if triggered by someone gaining access by a window etc but will be ignored if the E / E is activated first.
When in a hall or open plan living room, if you need to walk passed the PIR to get to the keypad in the morning you can set the PIR zone to E / E in part guard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back